AMA with Dashiell Reinhardt - Partner/Head of Post at HLG Studios

(Dashiell Reinhardt) #1

Hi all! I’m one of the partners at HLG Studios, a critically acclaimed production company that’s been pioneering digital entertainment for over 14 years.

One of our more recent successes was our independently produced pilot and short film prequel for “Binge” a dark comedy about eating disorders and addiction.

As a Partner I’ve had my hand in just about every aspect of production, but my personal focus is post as the head of post production.

So if you’ve got any questions on the post process, or any general questions ask away!

(Bri Castellini) #2

Welcome, Dashiell! First up- when did you realize you wanted to be in the film industry?

(Bri Castellini) #3

@alwaysafilmgeek @ghettonerdgirl @OSTSG @barbaramcthomas @afbarbag @dj_tilney @ronVceo @movieguyjon @mintypineapple @SnobbyRobot @filmwritr4 @idgafwebseries @ZackMorrison18 @mkatiehunter @DarekKowal @Brad_Riddell @RDRICCI @Offbeat @whoisjonporter @jonathankyall @JonSosis @shrutesnladders @Ian_David_Diaz @mdec24 @RobbieRuviews @OddLantern @floorthirteen @solostinlost @w-e-spear @olga_markovic @cec263 @Halen_Williamson @tastewithkevin @danielmhart @sandwich_fam @avincie @ShayFuller1

(Anna Bateman) #4

Hey and welcome! What does it mean that you’re the head of post production? Just that you’re the main editor, or something else?

(Meg Carroway) #5

What’s the most exciting/terrifying thing about having a business exclusively focusing on digital media?

(Ollie R) #6

Hey man. So props to you because to me, post production is one of the most frustrating parts of the process. What do you like about it/any advice for newbs to get through it?

(Dashiell Reinhardt) #7

Thanks Bri! THAT is actually a bit of a long story, but I can try to condense it. I originally to school at UC Santa Cruz thinking I was going to be an electrical engineer. After a few years and after hitting a point where math wasn’t numbers anymore, I realized hey, this wasn’t actually for me. I’d been doing some semi-regular sketch comedy with some friends at the time, and we’d started filming our sketches. I realized it was something I absolutely loved and was actually fairly good at. So switched majors. After college I jumped into the post process for a feature film those same friends had filmed. It never saw the light of day BUT it was an incredible learning experience. After that we started producing one of the first web series Break a Leg, which is still around (though quite old) if you want to check it out. From there we started building a fan base, which lead to brand deals and that’s pretty much when I and the rest of our team realized how we could turn something we loved into a business. Shortly after HLG Studios was born and we got one of our first major brand deals for 7-Eleven. A reality road trip called The 7-Eleven Road Trip Rally.

(Jaime Lancaster) #8

Can you talk a little more about how you did this? Also, welcome!

(Dashiell Reinhardt) #9

Hello Anna who is also a Banana. Essentially it means I oversee all aspects of post production. Often it means yeah, I’m the head editor on our projects. But overall it means that I organize the team that is needed for each project and work with each member to figure out the best workflow and timeline to get us to the finish line.

Sometimes it’s a small team of just myself and a few others wearing multiple hats, and other times it’s team of multiple editors with visual effects artists and audio engineers.

(Anna Bateman) #10

Cool! What’s something you’ve learned about managing a team (of any size)?

(Bri Castellini) #11

That’s so awesome! So after the birthing of HLG, how did you all kind of settle into your roles at the company? Was there any argument over who would do what?

(Joseph Steven Heath) #12

Are there any specific aspects of post you don’t enjoy and if so, how do you make yourself do those things?

(Dashiell Reinhardt) #13

Hi Meg!

Well the most exciting thing I’d have to say is the opportunity. We started early, but even then we were quite spoiled compared to not even a decade prior. The rise of digital series and entertainment in general and the technology available to us has really allowed for creators like ourselves to flourish.

The terrifying thing I suppose would be the flipside. In that how open the world is to creators, it’s often difficult to stand out above the sea of content. With each new production there’s always the anxiety of “will this even get seen?”.

But honestly that’s the fear of all artists, we’ve always chosen to work on projects that mean something to us and pour ourselves into them. AKA Binge. Usually the work ends up speaking for itself and pay off.

(Yuri Baranovsky) #14

Is Yuri as good looking in real life or is he better looking?

(Meg Carroway) #15

So you guys obviously work with some sort of budget, from past work or crowdfunding, but how do you recommend we all start? The sea of content makes the bar much higher I feel like these days, and if you don’t have a budget, you can only do so much.

(Hailey Harper) #16

How early do you prefer being involved when you’re editing a project? On set? Pre-production?

(Dashiell Reinhardt) #17

Thanks Ollie! Well first up I’d just say that certainly post isn’t for everyone. As much as I love it, there are often frustrating moments of tedium. And usually the beginning of any post process is daunting and somewhat overwhelming.

I personally cycle between moments of loving it and hating it, but the satisfaction of creating something that I love and other people love is so incredible and rewarding that it always draws me back.

Post is difficult and time consuming, but it’s really where you see everything come together and you get these magical moments of seeing a vision come to life.

Everyone’s got there own strengths and draws. I also love the energy of being on set, so it’s something I try to always involve myself in. Especially because it can inform my choices in the edit.

As for advice, I’d say just like anything the more you do it the better you get. You gotta put in the time and try to focus on the satisfying moments where something really lands. It’ll depend on the project and the deadline, but if you look at it as just play and seeing what you can make work, when you hit that point where everything just clicks and your seeing the project really come to life, the time and frustration will totally be worth it.

(Dashiell Reinhardt) #18

Yuri is no better or no worse looking then your average potato.

(sam lockie-waring) #19

loved binge- and have been loving your whole dang team doing stareable amas the past few months! do you have any pet peeves when you receive footage from a shoot?

(Jane) #20

How do you deal with bad production sound but the ADR somehow sounding even worse?