AMA With Noam Kroll

(Noam Kroll) #41

Watching lots of films inspires me and keeps me going. I try to watch at least 3 movies a week and read multiple scripts every week too. The more I consume, the more I’m inspired. When I’m faced with challenges, I try to break them down into smaller tasks so they become less daunting.

(Anna Bateman) #42

What type of content would you say is best suited for Patreon, out of curiosity?

(Noam Kroll) #43

I want to make sure I never exploit my blog audience or friends/family by asking for money too often. It’s just a gut feeling, but I kind of feel like I just have one chance to do it without being annoying :slight_smile:

(Noam Kroll) #44

They found me luckily enough! Early on I think I posted some of my articles on forums or reddit. But the vast majority of my audience has come from social media or google - people that found my work organically.

(Rayne M) #45

So why this project? What will you do for the next one? Other crowdfunding experts on here (lots of Seed And Spark people!) seem to promote the idea of doing many campaigns, each more successful than the last because of what you’ve built

(Bri Castellini) #46

From an early question gathering post :slight_smile:

(Noam Kroll) #47

Sure. The first step is to figure out your budget, how much you need to raise, and how much equity you will be willing to give up to investors. This should be packaged in some kind of pitch deck, which can then be shared with a list of private investors that you contact. Some of these people might be warm leads (friends/family/associates), others may be cold calls. But you definitely want to tailor your pitch for each investor. The pitch should be different if you are talking to a dentist who wants a vanity credit vs. an experienced producer!

(Meg Carroway) #48

So web series rarely have good (or ANY) ROI which makes equity kinda tough… any thoughts/advice on that?

(Ayelette Robinson) #49

Thanks so much!

(Jane) #50

what should go in a pitch deck? especially if it’s your 1st one?

(Noam Kroll) #51

Lately, I try to frontload the process with as much pre-production/prep as I can. Pre-production costs $0 (or close to it), whereas production is obviously extremely costly. I aim to do as much as I can - shot lists, overheads, rehearsals, camera tests, location scouts, etc. - beforehand so when we get to set we know exactly what we want. In many cases, this also helps us wrap early!

(Ollie R) #52

What’s the easiest way to raise money, say between $5-10k, for a film project as a nobody/someone without an existing audience or content bank? Crowdfunding, a rolling Patreon for your company/entity, investors, what?

(Noam Kroll) #53

Not at all! Lighting is all about how you use your sources, not how many you have. Many famous DPs work with very minimal setups, or entirely with natural light. Take a film like The Revenant for instance, which was shot almost entirely with natural light. If anything, I think most student films are given away because they look too “lit”. You can see the hair light, the cookie splashing across the background, etc. They are trying to do too much - like using too many filters in photoshop (dumb analogy!). Unless you are a master cinematographer or have loads of time to mess around on set, less is more.

(Bri Castellini) #54

Do you have any positioning or framing advice for an interior shoot without a lighting kit? How can you fake a good look without having the equipment to back it up? *especially for an interior shoot, which is always harder to make look nice.

(Meg Carroway) #55

Yeah especially a comedy, which probably doesn’t have as much need for shadows. How would you light a totally low budget comedy in an apartment so it doesn’t look like crap?

(Noam Kroll) #56

From a creative level, the #1 thing I look for is whether or not it suits the mood of the film. If I need an old-school diner for my restaurant scene, but scout something super modern, I’ll never try to set dec it to make it work. I’d rather bite the bullet and pay a few more bucks for the right location. it ends up saving time and $ in the long run as less time is wasted on set. Above and beyond that, I make sure the lighting can be set up easily and quickly (need access to power, or big windows, etc.). I also want it to be easily accessible for cast and crew.

(Ollie R) #57

Loved the Revenant. Leo deserved the Oscar for that one for sure!

(sam lockie-waring) #58

have you ever shot somewhere and regretted it during production?

(Noam Kroll) #59

The earlier you can start marketing, the better. I would advise thinking about marketing before you even write your project. If you are dealign with a specific topic - let’s say alcoholism for instance - you might be able to find people interested/affected by that cause who would be willing to support your project. Some of these people will be Kickstarter backers, some will be social media followers, and so on. By the time you are ready to actually release your webseries, they will be eager to see it! So it’s never to early to start building a following around your project and keep people engaged throughout. And also remember the 80/20 rule. 80% of what you share on social media should not be promoting your work. In the example above, it may be resources for people affected by alcoholism - support groups, inspirational quotes, etc. - no one will care about the project until you earn their loyalty by providing value!

(Jane) #60

Never heard of the 80-20 rule- thanks! Do you think it’s better to market from accounts/sites that are more general for all your current and future projects or from accounts specific to one project? Like if I want to make more things, should I just keep making Twitters?