AMA With Noam Kroll

(Noam Kroll) #81

I would try as many options as you can and see what sticks! My philosophy is all about experimentation. You never know what will work until you try. After time, you can really dial it in and just focus on what’s working - but right off the bat try multiple platforms and see which suits your style and audience the best.

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #82

Thank you very much, Noam!

(Ayelette Robinson) #83

Thanks so much to both of you!

(Noam Kroll) #84

On a grassroots level, it would start with social media - targeted toward your intended demographic. And yes, it would definitely involve sharing supplemental content. You could also reach out to organizations or groups that can help you spread the word. This is especially helpful if you’re dealing with a social cause. As for press releases - that can work too, but you need a really good angle or “hook” that makes it interesting to the general public. If you can afford a publicist, they can help you get the right lists of press contacts to blast your message out to. Or you can use a DIY service like PRWeb.

(Noam Kroll) #85

I like to spend a lot of time up front working with actors (in pre production and rehearsal), so they need as little direction on set as possible. I also believe (as the saying goes) that 90% of directing is casting. If you cast the right actors, half your work is done for you.

(Meg Carroway) #86

YIKES!

(Noam Kroll) #87

It’s definitely on my list of things to do, but that list is getting very long :confused:

(Noam Kroll) #88

Yes - I am going to spend quite a bit of time letting people know (via my blog, social media, etc.) before I even launch the campaign. The real groundwork needs to happen before the campaign launches - or so I understand - so my plan is to spend several months generating interest in the project, creating content, campaign videos, etc. before launch. I will also make sure we can get a lot of backers on day 1, as I know having as much momentum as possible early is key for inspiring other people to donate too.

(Noam Kroll) #89

I think you can make a living doing anything you want. I love business and spend as much time studying business as I do film, and if there’s one thing I know it’s that there are an infinite amount of ways to monetize your product (in this case, your film). Just because others haven’t been successful in huge numbers, doesn’t mean it’s not possible. If I were to do it, I would be thinking a lot about the ancillary content. Sometimes that is easier to sell than the content itself (books, t-shirts, training manuals, action figures, educational kits, etc.), and will have far higher profit margins. Many large studio films seem to basically make movies as giant advertisements to sell their ancillary content. That’s a strategy that works!

(Blair Hunter) #90

Aren’t you worried you’ll burn people out before you even ask them for money? (that’s what I worry about)

(Noam Kroll) #91

Awesome! Hope you enjoy.

(Noam Kroll) #92

It’s a fine line, but no - not if it’s done tastefully and while also adding value somehow to them. Educate or inspire if you can! Don’t just push it in front of them.

(Blair Hunter) #93

Tasteful crowdfunding… seems like an oxymoron! Maybe that’s just cuz I’m overexposed to it?

(Bri Castellini) #94

Definitely depends on the project/person. It can be done- I’ve seen it!