AMA with Travis & Steven from Butcher Bird Studios!

(Griffin Davis) #1

Hi folks, welcome to our live stream!

Starting at 11 AM PST, you’ll still be leaving your questions in a thread, but our team over at Butcher Bird Studios will be answering LIVE here (and on Facebook) from our LA studio space!

For those of you who left questions in the other thread, we know you’re there, and your questions go up first!

(Bri Castellini) #2

All questions from our pre-thread for when the stream starts!

Attn: @alwaysafilmgeek @ghettonerdgirl @OSTSG @barbaramcthomas @afbarbag @dj_tilney @ronVceo @movieguyjon @mintypineapple @SnobbyRobot @filmwritr4 @idgafwebseries @ZackMorrison18 @mkatiehunter @DarekKowal @Brad_Riddell @RDRICCI @Offbeat @whoisjonporter @jonathankyall @JonSosis @shrutesnladders @Ian_David_Diaz @mdec24 @RobbieRuviews @OddLantern @floorthirteen @solostinlost @w-e-spear @olga_markovic @cec263 @Halen_Williamson @tastewithkevin @danielmhart @sandwich_fam @travisgrossi @Shinsuke_Fusushi @Alex_LeMay

(Bri Castellini) #3

And my standard first question is always: how did you all get into filmmaking, and into web series in particular?

(Meg Carroway) #4

Oh this is so cool! I’ll see everyone in six minutes :slight_smile:

(Jerome Keith) #5

What are some of your first steps after you decide to make a project?

(Anna Bateman) #6

Dope!! When/why did you guys start doing these live Q&As?

(Jaime Lancaster) #7

Hi Butcher Bird!! Love the ethos of not wanting to ask permission! It’s big here in the web series world :slight_smile: What’s your advice for total newbie filmmakers to make great things, especially if, like you guys, we didn’t go to film school?

(Bri Castellini) #8

@fengshuitara @Yuri actually did an AMA a while back!

(Meg Carroway) #9

What is your guys’ actual business set up? Are you a studio space, or a production company, or a content company, or what? What does Butcher Bird Studios DO?

(Lessa Smith) #10

Love this show! I might have missed it, but how did you meet/start working with Yuri and Tara?

(Jane) #11

Do you have any advice for working with friends? I’ve done it before and sometimes “mixing business with pleasure/social life” doesn’t work out well :confused:

(Joseph Steven Heath) #12

Is there any way for one to work for Butcher Bird? If so, what are you looking for?

(Meg Carroway) #13

Have you guys ever crowdfunded before/been involved in a campaign before? Any advice there?

(Ollie R) #14

People give the “use your phone” advice a lot but… is that enough? Why bother releasing something that isn’t as good as it could be? What’s the point of that? Or do you just mean we should make stuff, never show it, then eventually lead up to a product you want to release?

(Jaime Lancaster) #15

:joy: :joy: #TheHustle

(Joseph Steven Heath) #16

You know it. Follow up: Can what you are looking for be ME? If not, come on.

(Jaime Lancaster) #17

How involved are you in the marketing of projects you make/ are hired on? Do you have any advice about maximizing our efforts without losing our minds/ all the rest of our free time?

(Jane) #18

Thanks so much!!! Follow up: how do you transition people from doing projects for fun to doing projects under the same umbrella but to actually prove something/move forward with your career? The transition can also be complicated.

(Blair Hunter) #19

Big question on the working with friends topic: how do you fire people? If they still want to help but they’re not doing a good job or you don’t end up enjoying working with them but you also don’t want to ruin your friendships?

(Adam Fair) #20

Redirected from Facebook:

Peter Krygowski How do you avoid getting exhausted even before you start shooting?