Combing Through Comedy: The Projectionist Project

(Joseph Steven Heath) #1

Welcome to Combing Through Comedy where Joe Heath of Minty Pineapple Entertainments is going to randomly watch comedy web series from Stareable and then tell you about them. Like… I dunno… are they funny?

Today’s show: The Projectionist Project

It’s my birth month, so you’re just gonna have to deal with a little self-promotion this week.

The Projectionist Project is a show created by the incredibly handsome and all-around swell guy, Joe Heath (AKA me). It’s a movie review show where the plots of the movies being reviewed influence the plots of the reviews themselves. The episodes build off of the previous episodes leading to a weird universe full of puppets, gods, time travel, alternate universes, clones, and annoying twin sisters.

As the creator, I want to tell you it’s perfect and wonderful and nothing is wrong with it. But as the creator, I also know that’s not entirely true. The first couple of episodes are basically just straight-up reviews with jokes thrown in. The show’s developing plot doesn’t really start until Paranormal Activity 3 and goes into full gear around Jack and Jill. The movie reviews were chosen by viewer voting and the reviews came out weekly (this later changed to every two weeks and then even later changed to whenever I could get one done). So there’s definitely some rough patches due to the fact that I was writing, filming, editing, and releasing an episode every week. Not a lot of time for finesse. But I feel like that gave the show a chaotic fun pace where anything could happen and frequently did.

The humor comes from poking fun at the tropes and situations portrayed in the movies being reviewed. A lot of fun comes out of taking elements from big blockbuster films and forcing them into the ongoing narrative of the show. A puppet introduced in The Muppets later becomes a god in The Avengers. Men in Black 3 introduces time travel. The Amazing Spider-Man introduces a reboot universe. Primer introduces that time travel in the reboot universe works differently than in the prime universe which leads to a whole slew of clones and alternate universe characters invading the prime universe. It is an incredibly continuity driven show that revels in increasingly complex and ridiculous details. It’s a lot of fun, you guys. Seriously.

The show was basically a crash course for me and helped me learn how to do a lot of things on my own and get them done quickly. It helped me hone my acting, editing, and directing. It also gave me a lot of confidence in my own writing abilities as this was the first time I had really written anything on my own. I learned my own voice. I learned that I could create things out of nothing and on a regular schedule. And I love what came out of it.

The bottom line: Is it funny? I sure hope so.