Giving Back

getting-personal

(Herman Wang) #1

This is less of a prepared article and more of a short set diary of a shoot for The Spell Tutor that just happened today.

Many of you know @kmd; she frequently posts “Filmmaking To The Max” articles on this forum. A while ago she asked for opportunities to work as crew to gain some experience. @Bri_Castellini pointed her my way since we live in the same general area around Toronto. I decided to give Kyla a day on our set - after all, if we don’t help others out once in a while, how can we expect the same in return when it comes our turn to ask?

Now, we don’t usually operate with a PA, and I wasn’t even sure we’d have anything for her to do. Our existing crew has settled into a fairly tight pattern where everyone knows their roles. At the start, I asked her to do a few trivial things that I normally do myself, just to get comfortable with her and the idea of having a PA on set. As the day progressed, though, I found ways for her to improve our productivity. For instance, in retrieving various items that I’d inevitably left in another room so that the main crew could concentrate on setting up scenes. And she was invaluable in setting up actors’ marks as we figured out framing and positioning. In the end, she contributed to keeping us on our tight schedule, which seems to be a problem on almost everyone’s sets.

Kyla wasn’t expecting to be paid, but I knew I could find ways to compensate her. Knowing she needed a tripod, I gave her one of my older ones that had since been superceded by a far better model. And I’ll see to it she gets some cash for her troubles as well.

None of this would have happened if not for the Stareable community and the spirit of helping our fellow creators out. Thanks for reading!

PS
It’s probably an indicator of my generational positioning, but I totally forgot to get a selfie of the two of us. Oh well.

(William E. Spear) #2

Herman @hermdelica - Beautiful story and thank you for sharing.

(Kyla) #3

thank you so much again for letting me work on your set!! it was an amazing experience to have and I’m so glad that I was helpful!! and thank you again for the tripod-- we’re using it today and I’m so very excited!!

also thank you for letting me wear a pirate vest and a mask!! it was a fun time!!

(Herman Wang) #4

Sounds like a win-win :slight_smile:

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #5

Awesome story!