Helen here! AMA!

(Sunny Larkson) #21

Thanks Bri!! I made it so I can ask MORE, yay!!

(Sunny Larkson) #22

Do you sing on set for I Ship It? How do you make the singing look real, if not?

(Helen Highfield) #23

That’s a great question! I coach people on their auditions. I think it’s always important to run your auditions with someone (either another actor friend or a coach) before you go in. So my clients prepare the audition, and I do some final tweaks. It’s aways easy to miss something when you’re preparing material bc you’re worried about what to wear and if they’re gonna like you and all that. As a coach, I get to just focus on you acting so I’m gonna see the stuff you might’ve missed. I also do one on one tutorials for people who can’t commit to a class - I assign material and we work through it every week.

(Meg Carroway) #24

What are some of the more common bits of coaching you give people for their auditions? Are there common auditioning mistakes lots of actors make?

(Jerome Keith) #25

Awesome. How did you get started in the acting coach business?

(Meg Carroway) #26

Alternatively… what are some of the more UNCOMMON pieces of advice you’ve given?

(Helen Highfield) #27

Hey Sunny! Yay! Thank you so much for watching!!! Funny story - when I was auditioning, they hadn’t told me much info about the project - no name, no nothing, just “digital series”. And as I was reading the scene I thought to myself “this scene reminds me this sweet short film I saw”. About a year prior, I had fallen down a YouTube hole and discovered Yulin’s work, watched ALL OF IT, and had followed her on Twitter. So when I got a callback and met her, I finally put it all together! I loved the short and was so excited to work with Yulin!

And as for Season 2… I wish I had news! It’s all shot and edited and looks great, we’re all just waiting to hear about the release date.

(sam lockie-waring) #28

hey helen- great to meet you! never heard of your stuff but people here seem hella excited so i’m gonna have to check it out after this. do you have anything you wish more creators/directors knew about actors for like, best practices? like if i hire you for my low budget web series, what are things people like me definitely shouldn’t forget/definitely should do?

(Helen Highfield) #29

Check out casting sites online! The main ones that people use are actorsaccess.com, lacasting.com, castingfrontier.com, and Backstage.com

(Sunny Larkson) #30

That’s so cool!!! Like total dream come true. Did you do any other web series or web projects before that?

(Helen Highfield) #31

Not a dumb question at all! There’s lots of different schools of acting training. Sanford Meisner was one of the greats and his technique uses exercises to train actors to really listen well. I mean, that’s all acting is right? Listening and answering (as the character in the given circumstances). I found it to be a really wonderful foundation for my acting. It’s not about deciding how to say the line, it’s listen to the other person and respond!

(Blair Hunter) #32

Were you always in LA, or did you move there for acting? Do you think you have to be in LA to be successful?

(Blair Hunter) #33

Is there a big difference between acting on different sized sets?

(Meg Carroway) #34

How do you decide what scenes should go in your reel, and how to you pace a reel?

(Helen Highfield) #35

Oh thank you! Ooooh what a great question. I think fostering a sense of community is really important. Letting the cast get to know eachother before a project is great. And hopefully everyone is behaving themselves on set, but in the cases that they aren’t, I think it’s helpful for directors to be available for communication. You might have to talk to the actors individually, and make sure that you’re clear on what’s coming up for them. Really, knowing that the director sees what’s happening and is open to talking out concerns is huge.

(Meg Carroway) #36

What about tips for how to stop or at least pause on-set fights until the shoot day is over? Off set conflict is one thing, but when there’s sniping while the camera is up and ready it becomes a WHOEL other thing

(Helen Highfield) #37

It is, yeah. Let me be clear, I don’t think Lesly’s comments in this situation were appropriate. I can say, having known her for 7 years, that she’s one of the most genius and generous acting teachers out there and genuinely only wants her actors to work.

(Bri Castellini) #38

In addition to Helen’s answer to this, might I suggest… :smiley:

(Helen Highfield) #39

Yep! They kinda do the same thing these days - submit and pitch you for projects/auditions. Technically, a manager advises you on your career. A manager can help you get an agent so a lot of people look to work with a manager first.

(Bri Castellini) #40

A few questions that got lost from before :slight_smile: