How early is too early to start a social media account?

(Hailey Harper) #1

So I’m still in the rewriting/ partial crewing section of making my web series and I was wondering when I’m supposed to make our social media accounts. I know people say do it earlier than crowdfunding, but is right now (probably like 6 months before we start a crowdfunding or any other thing) too early?

(Bri Castellini) #2

@Mark_Mainolfi @JeromeKeith76 @gmcalpin @thembob @hermdelica @ghettonerdgirl @cagesafe @spectatorspork @Alex_LeMay @Alex_Spieth @kmd

(Bri Castellini) #3

So I might be biased because I’m a social media addict, but I think it’s never too early to make an account if you’re dedicated to seeing the project through. Otherwise that’s a lot of time and effort wasted. REASONS I THINK THIS:

1. You gotta reserve your usernames early so they all match. More on this here
  2. You gotta start curating relevant content to build an audience and community who’s interested in the content you’re prepping to make. More on THIS here
  3. People will be more likely to think you’re legit if you have preexisting (and active) social media on at least one or two sites, especially if you’re hoping to crowdfund

(Meg Carroway) #4

Yeah I don’t think it’s too early, as long as you’re actually gonna post stuff. Otherwise it’ll sorta kill your momentum.

(Jerome Keith) #5

Agreeing with Bri, now is definitely the time.

One of the key tips I’ve heard in terms of outreach is to use social media primarily to create an email list. Because while social media is controlled by the sites themselves (they can change terms and services as well as interface whenever they please) you can personally control your email list. And if you’re trying to prep for crowdfunding having a preexisting form of contacting people, rather than trying to create one in the few weeks before, will definitely come in handy.

(Gordon McAlpin) #6

No such thing as too early. Even if you don’t have a lot of followers at first, when it comes time to start doing the REAL promotion of a crowdfunding campaign or a release date or whatever, having a few older posts helps people to see what they’re signing up for.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #7

Hi Hailey!

Echoing what’s already been said. Now is the time to start making social media accounts for your web series. It’s never too early in my opinion and you want to make sure the usernames match across platforms. It’s also a good tool to use for sharing cast/crew posts when you’re assembling your team. Good luck!

-Sally

(Hailey Harper) #8

Oh my god I didn’t even think of emails. But wait, how do you get emails from social media??

(Bri Castellini) #9

If you use a service like MailChimp, they give you unique form URL you can share on social that will take people to a sign up page

(Jerome Keith) #10

Mailchimp is also the service I’ve been pointed to most often.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #11

Everyone here has the right of it. No time like now to get the social media stuff set up. Just be aware that it will take a large portion of your time and energy to build your “presence,” so be ready for that. Don’t put any money into twitter/fb as in the beginning stages there’s absolutely no return on investment. If you have only a passing interest in social media, consider getting someone to join you in working on the social media.

(Bri Castellini) #12

Especially someone who will be better about it than whoever you asked to help with Flagon and who has been sorely lacking after a day of a lot of Tumblr queueing.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #13

Hahaha, well…you’ve been busy, and I’ve been holed up writing so I haven’t really given you much to work with. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Kallum Weyman) #14

I am in a similar place. Bri was spot on when saying prepare anyway making sure you cna get usernames your happy with and assets even if they are place holders ready so you can get you campain off to a strong start. If you have a pre established following then funneling them under your control will really help so if you can start a constant drip of content then go ahead. If not wait until you can cause a big burst will help but a consant stream of content will do you more overall.