How to make a succseful press release and where to send it?

(Kallum Weyman) #1

Hello everyone so I am now the producer of a show called “The Sojourn” and my executive producer has asked me to do outreach to news publications about our show announcement. First thing I would ask is do people think that it is worth sending out a press release for the announcement of our show? And secondly, how would one do so successfully? Any advise, link or discussion would be appreciated.

(Mary Mc Gloin) #2

Look up PRWeb
Look up EPK.tv
Look up blogs in your show topic’s niche
Look up groups in your show topic’s niche
Look up writers who write about your show’s topic niche
Look up any of the cast, crew, or creators hometown papers or alumni papers
Look up how to write a Press Release - there’s lots of online sites
on FB
on Twitter
on Instagram
on the show’s website
have an Electronic Press Kit (EPK) - have a link to download it from your site.

Possible announcments:

1. Poster Art
  2. Casting
  3. Teaser Release
  4. Trailer Release
  5. As you add team members (director, etc)
  6. Any festival wins
  7. Any screenings
  8. Build up before going online

(William E. Spear) #3

Agreing with every point from @Mary_McGloin and offering for consideration an opportunity for individuals to sign-up for future news and information. Otherwise, best of luck and wishes for success.

(Bri Castellini) #4

(Amen J.) #5

Yes, absolutely. I always do them for my own projects and for those I am doing promo consulting. It makes a big difference for gaining press coverage. There is a lot to consider:

-Send two weeks in advance of your launch
-Write a good press release that’s formatted correctly with a catchy headline
-Compile a list of all possible relevant publications to submit to, plus editor contact info; see if you can target specific journalists that have written on similar topics
-Set up a Boomerang to preschedule the press release in batches
-You should also put together a press kit to accompany the release

At the end of the day, you want to quickly catch journalists’ attention; they go through thousands of emails a day. Make their lives as easy as possible by giving them 80% of what they need to write a story on you.

(Kallum Weyman) #6

I have actually been reading this, thanks Bri