Looking for a female actress for off broadway production

(Eric klemp) #1

My name is Lauren Klemp, I am the director of a new play called “Shadow Kids”, and we are looking to find an understudy for two of the women’s roles in our show. The production is non-union and will run Off Broadway from May 2nd-13th at American Theatre of Actors in New York.

A little about our show; “Shadow Kids” is based on the life story of our writer and my co-director, Keith Brown, and is about the hardships kids face living in the foster care system. Originally produced in New Jersey as a musical, we have revised our script, and created something truly unique as the show is “mixed genre”, combining verse and song into our now dramatic play. We are a charity as well as a production company, and our goal for our production to help raise awareness about what really goes on in the foster care system (overmedication, abuse, etc). We also donate a percentage of our profits to the children living in shelters.

The roles we are looking to understudy are for a Latin (or Spanish looking) actress, age 18-25. The characters are two sisters, Alex and Lizzie, and the story follows them as they go from age 10-18 living in the shelters of the foster care system. Alex is a very strong character, a tough girl who isn’t afraid to speak her mind and stand up for herself. Lizzie is her younger sister who suffers from Tourette’s syndrome, is incredibly well read, and mostly keeps to herself. The actress would be responsible for understudying both roles, but would also be given the role of the Mother, which is a small part in the beginning of the play. Both of the roles to be understudied require some singing, but the songs aren’t difficult and could probably be pulled off by an actress who can carry a tune but doesn’t consider herself a “singer”. There is possible pay at the end of the production.

We rehearse Mondays and Tuesday nights from 7:30-10pm in Montville, NJ. If you think you may know a student who would be interested in auditions, please have them contact me. We will be holding auditions at the Darress Theatre in Boonton on Wednesday night, but we are available to work with the actress’ schedule if they cannot make the audition. We also accept video auditions.

I want to thank you for your time and for any assistance you may be able to provide us in finding an actress! Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks again, and I hope to hear from you!

Lauren Klemp

Director
973-714-7410
lauren.klemp@yahoo.com
Facebook @shadowkids1