Release All At Once Or One Place At A Time?

(Allen Landver) #21

cool, thanks for the info. I’m not sure it matters that they’re stand-alone jokes, you know? Out of curiosity, did you do most of your promo on Facebook?

(Gordon McAlpin) #22

I had a large-ish pre-existing community built there because of the comic strip Multiplex 10 is based on, so kind of?

(Bri Castellini) #23

I have! Mixed feelings, to be honest. This might be a useful article for you:

(Allen Landver) #24

Thanks @Bri_Castellini - why the mixed feelings though?

(Allen Landver) #25

Yeah, I would consider that “in-platform.” Ultimately it sounds like you found more success streaming your series on Facebook, and logically it kind of makes sense… that’s where your audience is…

(Bri Castellini) #26

I just don’t like how it’s hard to (read: impossible sometimes) to link to an individual Facebook video the way you can an individual YouTube one, and I don’t like how the backend functionality works. It’s just a worse video platform, especially for series and things needing playlists.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #27

Also a reply to @alandver

I do a series of videos for the podcast I’m on that feature guests breaking down the plots to movies in thirty seconds. Uploading the videos is an ugly process and not intuitive in the slightest. The video section of our page is a mess and the playlists aren’t exactly reliable and don’t seem to always play every video. It’s just a difficult experience from a viewer’s standpoint, which really cuts on our potential viewership.

It’s for that reason I hesitate to post anything Flagon related on FB…I’d rather link out and boost the post than have people watch on an ugly platform and get turned off of the whole ordeal.

(Allen Landver) #28

This is incredibly helpful info, thanks. It’s tempting to keep it all in-platform, especially if I’m going to be doing promo/marketing on the platform, but these are some really good reasons to host the videos somewhere else.

Youtube and Vimeo seem like the obvious options. Others on Stareable have mentioned that Youtube is better if I’m planning to make more videos, extras, Misc marketing stuff - and especially if I plan to release on a set schedule for multiple months at a time. Since I’m not planning to do that, I wonder if I should just go the Vimeo route… thoughts?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #29

I honestly have no experience with Vimeo other than through work, and at work we just use them as a means to show cuts to clients. I haven’t interfaced with any of the communities and groups on there or tried to release a show through them. I THINK @gmcalpin has had some luck with that? He can correct me if I’m wrong. On an upload/behind the scenes level, I REALLY like the Vimeo interface. I also love being able to make fixes to a video without having to make a whole new upload. I DON’T LOVE the cost.

(Bri Castellini) #30

What I’ll say about Vimeo is that it’s not really built for series, it’s built for one-offs. There isn’t a great playlist functionality (really any at all), the closest is a “collection”

(Bri Castellini) #31

COST! Yes, cost is huge. You have limited storage capacity and limited bandwidth per… week? Month? Something like that. There’s a cap.

(Gordon McAlpin) #32

I post to Vimeo mainly because I think the video quality is better and you can update (fix!) the video file after the initial upload, unlike YouTube. So if there’s something I need to fix, I do it and replace the embed on the Multiplex 10 website with a Vimeo embed instead. :man_shrugging:

I released the short film through Vimeo On Demand, which is a little different.

They do let you sell seasons and subscription-based content through Vimeo On Demand, though — https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/articles/235765607-Selling-a-Vimeo-On-Demand-series?flash_digest=d339f71221710cd876aa4866894e73edf203ae12 — but I don’t have experience with that.

Here’s what one of the series looks like: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/brilliantcornersseries (I just picked it randomly; not an endorsement/recommendation)

I think that looks really nice, but of course to sell on Vimeo On Demand, it costs $180/year. So… is it gonna be worth that? Maybe for you! Not so much for me. I’ve barely recouped that amount selling my short film. (Sales of the short film have been disappointing outside of the two crowdfunding campaigns.) I’ll probably skip it with my next short film.

(Sophie Kokott) #33

For our webseries we posted week by week.

I found it was awesome at first, but with 10 episodes, I felt people kind of fell off the bandwagon.

Not sure what the best method is…

(Gabriel Reiter) #34

Are subscribers valuable for web series that were posted on YouTube in the binge format? (all episodes at once). I was just thinking that a big part of YouTube’s channel model is subscribers, the idea being that influencers create steady content on a regular schedule and subscribers get notified. But we’re talking about narrative web series that even we have multiple episodes, most are still one off series. So if all the content is there right away, does it matter to have subscribers? Does it feed the YT algorithms or promotion? And why would anyone subscribe to a channel that has posted all the content up front…

(Travis Grossi) #35

A little late to the game here, but we posted our series on Facebook and then embedded the Facebook videos to our series’ webpage (www.travistyseries.com) to keep all the views in one place. Like you guys mentioned, we had a significant drop off from the first episode through to the end, but now we’re trying to promote individual episodes to get those views up. (Although that feels weird to me because the whole piece is actually a 30 min pilot we split into 6 episodes, sooooo there’s that.)

We’re also doing most of our marketing on Facebook as well, as it’s been easier to get quick view counts there. Last weekend I walked around DragCon wearing a sandwich board and made a quick video, put it on our Facebook and it’s done really well. I just know as a user, I’m much more likely to watch a video in-platform than click a link and wait the .3 seconds for it to load. Which is clearly ridiculous, but here we are.

I think if I could do it over again, I wouldn’t have split up our pilot into 6 little episodes, or would have released them one at a time to get similar view counts on every episode.

(Barbara Mc Thomas) #36

Our current plan is to release episodes one at a time, on any and all available platforms. Our goal is to attract a local business to sponsor our next season (Be the Subway to our Chuck! was going to be the pitch, but it turns out a lot of people don’t remember Chuck.) Anyway, we just want to develop as wide an audience as possible to make us more attractive to potential sponsors.

(Bri Castellini) #37

PEOPLE DON’T REMEMBER CHUCK?! That’s depressing. seasons 1-5 all on Amazon Prime now I believe so maybe that’ll help?

(Clif Johnston) #38

Our series (Wednesdays with Karla) is currently released exclusively on Facebook. I went that route because:

1. Karla’s existing followers were there and on Instagram
  2. Ease of sharing was a key goal
  3. We were able to target our key audience (people who like a certain well-known documentary).

We’re releasing an episode a week, and producing as we go. With a marketing budget of $5/day we reached over 47k views of Episode 5 last week.

(Bri Castellini) #39

WOW. Congrats! How long do you run those campaigns for, if you don’t mind me asking? $5/day for how many days?

(Clif Johnston) #40

Just 7 days per episode.