Teach Me Tuesday: Fix It In Post


(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic is…

What is a creative way you’ve fixed a production problem in post?

How have you used editing to fix (or hide) a mistake, or to add something unplanned but necessary to the story or pacing? Share your “fix it in post” success stories!


(Bri Castellini) #2

Other than the basics of hiding line flubs under reaction shots or ADR, my biggest “fixed it in post” success was during my first project ever. We were filming on a rooftop and there was this really giant, ugly building behind us that despite actually being there looked fake. That’s when my director noticed that (since we were filming found footage and the camera didn’t move) neither of the actors in the scene ever crossed in front of it because of the angle. And so…

This…

Became THIS:

It was the one and only true special effect we used, but we were so damn proud of that. It was the perfect detail for a post-apocalyptic world we didn’t have the budget to create in other scenes.


(Bri Castellini) #3

@movieguyjon @hermdelica @gmcalpin @OSTSG @marybeth @mdec24


(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

I’ll have to respond when I get home to supply good screenshots! It’ll be lengthy tho.


(Bri Castellini) #5

I can’t wait!!


(Herman Wang) #6

The “afterlife” scenes for this episode were shot on 3 different days, and we were pretty consistent with everything… except for the one day that Maria-Crystal wore a light blue hair scrunchie instead of a black one, and I didn’t notice.

A lot of the shots were handheld, so I had to hand-draw a moving mask every few frames and darken the scrunchie down to black. We got lucky with Maria-Crystal’s black hair; this wouldn’t have worked if she were blonde and we would have ended up with Superman’s moustache.


(Bri Castellini) #7

DAMN.


(Jonathan Hardesty) #8

Had a recent example in which I had to cut the long, drawn out pauses of an interviewee who talked slowly and deliberately. I noticed that the actor didn’t really move during those pauses so I made the cuts and you wouldn’t be able to tell there’s jump-cuts because luck was on my side. Same thing happened with the same interviewee where I had to “frankenstein” his soundbite a bit and found an edit point where he slurred a connecting word, which means I could make the L cut and it looked like he was saying that word even though in the raw footage he had just moved his mouth a little. I also made the shot go from a close-up to a wide so it would be impossible to notice.

Sorry I can’t be more specific as the project is a bit secretive, but us editors do a lot of cheating to get the desired effect. :stuck_out_tongue:


(Jonathan Hardesty) #9

I’ve also had to reverse-engineer logos in order to be able to animate them or reconstruct an animation because the client lost the original logo animation or the intermediary to the client was unable to acquire the assets from the client before the deliverable due date.


(Bri Castellini) #10

Hahaha oh my god that reminds me of another story about how despite my best efforts I COULDN’T fix something in post. There’s a speech in episode 3 of Brains that our actress straight up A. did not memorize and B. could not even read off the page in a way that sounded a little bit ok, so I Frankenstein’d the speech from eight different takes, sometimes only using one word from a particular take, and then did little cartoon drawings “by the character” to help illustrate salient points so you wouldn’t see the jump cuts between every other word. It was a nightmare and such a shame because that was one of my favorite episodes on the page and least favorites on the screen.