Teach Me Tuesday: Knowing when and why to quit promotional strategies

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic:

What’s something promotion-related you’ve stopped doing because of low return on investment?

*Investment can mean time, energy, money, or anything else!

(Jonathan Kaplan) #2

TWITTER!

(Herman Wang) #3

Online-only film festivals. The in-person ones are still useful in making connections but online ones are as impersonal as any social media site, only you also have to pay submission fees.

(Bri Castellini) #4

SAME!

(Amanda Taylor) #5

TRANSMEDIA. We attempted to go the route of the OGs when we started our Austen-based webseries (The Cate Morland Chronicles) and found that although we had a transmedia director who was organizing the posts, WE, on the ground doing production, still had to create the collateral - on top of shooting 40 episodes. Will never attempt again. And in fact, most of our social media has been kind of moot, and we are paring it down over the next few months! We find that direct outreach and messaging is 100x more effective.

(Bri Castellini) #6

Where do you guys tend to do the most direct outreach?

(Amanda Taylor) #7

Tumblr!!! It’s been really good for us.

(Bri Castellini) #8

How do you guys think about your strategy there? Particular Harry Potter hashtags, GIFsets, what?

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #9

Paid Facebook Ads. & maybe facebook itself. I might not be using them effectively but I rather focus on other avenues.

(Amanda Taylor) #10

I found HP fan blogs and reached out directly via messaging! But we did use hashtags as well, for our native posts.