Teach Me Tuesday: Music and Scoring

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday! Today’s topic:

When should you incorporate a musical score for a scene, and how do you make that decision?

(Bri Castellini) #2

Someone please tell me because I have no damn clue.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

I also wish I knew. All I got is a theme song and some local artists I use for party and/or love-ish scenes. Also some credit closing music from Youtube library.

(Gordon McAlpin) #4

Whenever you want!

Baby Driver had the soundtrack literally in the script.

I tend to rough out an edit, then find music that gets the feeling I want, and then re-edit to the music where needed.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #5

I tend to think ‘less is more’ when it comes to incorporating music into scenes. I rarely ever have it underneath the entire scene. Either use it as a bridge for establishing shots or start it when something dramatic is happening.

(Herman Wang) #6

Do you mean underlying mood soundtrack or specific songs?

For underlying soundtrack, we leave it until the end and it’s the composer’s job to match to the final edit.

For specific songs, we start as early as possible, like during pre-production. We sought out wizard rock bands (that’s a big thing in Potter fandom circles), found songs that suited the mood we were looking for and contacted them to start the process of obtaining permission.

(William E. Spear) #7

Responding in reverse order: 1) How I make the decision is a) If I’m trying to steer momentum in a direction; b) Magnifying emotion/drama/tension; or c) If I’m closing or transitioning a scene, then I’ll consider using music; and 2) How should music be incorporated seems a bit like cooking with garlic - to each individual’s taste.

(Zack Morrison) #8

The way I look at music is kind of a catch 22. On the one hand, it can be used to enhance inner moments, introduce a new sequence, or to articulate a certain beat depending on when it cues in. However, the absence of music is also very powerful, and sometimes adding a score might undercut the dramatic tension of a scene. Having music in a scene creates a layer of separation between the action and the audience…so I guess it all depends on what story you’re telling. It’s really just something you feel.