Teach Me Tuesday: Tell us something you love about web series

(Bri Castellini) #1

Welcome to Teach Me Tuesday, and happy [almost] Valentines Day! Today’s topic:

What do you love about web series?

Let’s just be happy and love each other and our weird and wacky indie format today.

(Bri Castellini) #2

I love that web series are so diverse, and I don’t just mean in representation in front of and behind the camera- I mean the formats are diverse too. I love that I can scroll through Stareable and find a talk show, a choose your own adventure story, a half hour drama, or a college vlog series all in the same few minutes.

I also love that the community is so supportive and lovely. It’s truly the most rewarding online community I’ve ever had the honor of being in :heart:

(Bri Castellini) #3

@alwaysafilmgeek @ghettonerdgirl @OSTSG @barbaramcthomas @ronVceo @movieguyjon @mintypineapple @SnobbyRobot @filmwritr4 @idgafwebseries @ZackMorrison18 @mkatiehunter @DarekKowal @Brad_Riddell @RDRICCI @Offbeat @whoisjonporter @jonathankyall @JonSosis @shrutesnladders @Ian_David_Diaz @mdec24 @RobbieRuviews @OddLantern @floorthirteen @solostinlost @w-e-spear @olga_markovic @cec263 @Halen_Williamson

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #4

I like the serial web format because it allows you to immediately know what is right or wrong in the presentation of a story. Knowing the tastes of the public, which works or does not work. In addition to the valuable practice of serialization with stories of very few minutes, even seconds and with this hook the public.

(Melissa Malone) #5

Happy almost Vday! :two_hearts:

I love that the community is so supportive and inclusive. I also love that it allows artists to create so freely and openly and find an audience for themselves. I love that it has allowed me to do what makes my heart sing with my wife and friends and make so many other friends I can now call family. I love that it has allowed me to travel the world and see places I never would have seen otherwise. I love that it has given me a new purpose in the world. I love that I have already named 5 things I love about it and it’s just the tip of the iceberg!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #6

Web series is a perfect format for me and my short attention span. I can get into a story quickly and can see out of the ordinary characters and situations. I can binge watch a whole series in under 30 min at a time which is great! Some of my fave web series include:

Clutch
Awkward Black Girl
Friends in Therapy
Doobie Nights

(Ron Valderrama) #7

I love that some of these series are on par with the same quality as TV now. We are seeing the democratization of this industry unfold right in front of us and it’s awesome to see.

(Herman Wang) #8

I’m enjoying the community as well. Genuine contributions and little to no trolling.

(William E. Spear) #9

The range of voices and stories is positive. Plus, access to the form is easier than longer shorts and features.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #10

Knock on wood!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #11

The freedoms and flexibility of the format. While that can be daunting at times, and while that means the quality varies, it also means that you’re not bound by popular formats like the 90-minute feature, or the hour prestige drama, or the half hour comedy. You’re also not bound by “having to reach the widest possible audience” so you’re free to be diverse.

(Robbie Ru) #12

It allows you to create the TV show you would want to see. Which is pretty incredible. There aren’t a bunch of hoops to jump through like in standard television. It’s liberating. :slight_smile:

(Emma Drewry) #13

i love the focus on characters. because web series are often so limited by budget or scale or other constraints that large plots are difficult, which means that they focus on developing characters and relationships which i think is incredibly valuable and makes for wonderful art

(Idgafwebseries) #14

I love that there’s more freedom to create what you want to create and make shows about topics that would otherwise never see the light of day on television or would only briefly appear in one episode only. There can be less discrimination as well, so casting and having a crew of predominantly POC, LGBTQ, or minorities is great.

(Kallum Weyman) #15

Variety and passion. Web series can be made by so many different people with different ideas and world/life experiences. The usually systems that stop this from happening are irrelevant here. if you have a passion you can create something special. (a little romantic but ehh I believe it.)

(Ray Robinson) #16

I’ve spent about 5-6 years writing various things - movie scripts, plays, articles, etc., but I’ve spent nearly 40 years acting. Since I have a great face and body for radio, I’ve been far more interested in writing lately, but it’s suck a lonely venue of creation. My performances always gave me immediate gratification, and few were the times anything I’ve written has seen the light of day.

What I like about the idea of a web series is that I can write something and produce it myself. It will be seen and shared, loved or hated, commented on. You can have a cast of a hundred, or a cast of one, and still make something people want to see.

Writing is no longer lonely when you have actors, crew and an audience depending on you. And that’s amazing!

(William E. Spear) #17

Ray - While your entire post is engaging, the part about having a “great body and voice for radio” caused me to spit out my coffee. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

(Ray Robinson) #18

Many thanks, and watch that fluid intake!