The Power of Positive Thinking

getting-personal

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #1

This column is written by Sally Hassan, the creator of Ghetto Nerd Girl. I talk about how to get through the vital steps of making a web series as smoothly and painlessly as possible.

Chances are you’ve heard this phrase before and you already have an opinion on it. I used to think it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo myself. After doing some reading and working with a marketing coach, I realized that there’s some truth to this.

I consider myself a realistic person, almost to a fault. I tend to be very negative because of the world we live in. It’s difficult to not become affected by what’s happening around us. However, I also know that my mind is a powerful thing and has changed the outcomes of many situations I’ve been in either for the better or worse.

A positive mindset is essential during the creation of your web series. Every time you think about something, you give it power. The moment you recognize this, you can use it to your advantage. Whatever you’re thinking, you’re probably right. I used to try to deny this fact, but time & time again I was proven wrong. Here are a few experiences in my web series journey where my mindset has a direct effect on our outcome.

It's not a failure if you took a risk and learned something from it!

1.) Script Writing - While writing I thought, “This is going to be funny.” I had no idea how because most of the stuff that happened to me as a teen was not comical in the least. I just had this gut feeling and wrote away without trying to be jokey. In a way, it just worked out. Is my show laugh out loud funny? No, but it has that touch of awkward humor you get when you feel uncomfortable. I’ve set a tone in the writing that I can mimic for future seasons. Or other projects!

2.) Crowdfunding - Way back when we did an Indiegogo campaign to get finishing funds for Season 1 & 2. I did all the research and planning I could think of. I rallied the troops, sent lovely personalized e-mails, supplied updates to our followers, and did all the right things you’re supposed to during a crowdfunding campaign. We didn’t end up making our goal, and I’m convinced it’s because I cursed us. I kept telling myself that I wasn’t going to make my goal, and that became true. My own thoughts were used against me and it didn’t matter how well I executed anything.

3.) Shoot Days - Although I’m always a bit frantic during production I make sure my mantra is, “No matter what happens we will get through it.” Failure is not an option. At least not when there’s an audience. I put a lot of pressure on myself, but it gets the job done. It’s okay because it’s coming from a good place!

4.) In the Edit Room - This is my current struggle. It’s been quite a rollercoaster ride trying to finish editing Season 2. I’m halfway there and the more difficult half is ahead of me. I recently updated my NLE system to FCP X (way late I know), and it has been a setback. Between learning the new bells & whistles and relabeling all of my clips it’s been daunting. It was a discouraging moment, which made me not want to return to what I love doing. However, I need to change my thought process. People are counting on me and my story needs to be told in its entirety. I decided to go back and replay my sequences from Season 1. It was a breath of fresh air. It reminded me that what I completed was no walk in the park. If I got through that, then I can get through this.

During all these experiences, I wasn’t aware how much my own thinking was changing the result. It wasn’t until after working with Therese Cator & reading #GIRLBOSS that I learned my thoughts are energy and that energy fuels my work, which affects the outcome. It’s not enough to just go through the motions. You have to believe in yourself and magic will happen. I know a lot of this sounds corny, but I dare you to pay attention to your mood before, during and after a task. I guarantee you’ll notice good vibes coincide with good results and bad vibes coincide with the bad. Once your thoughts are in line with what you want, you’ll be unstoppable!

(Bri Castellini) #2

Girl I am loving this radical transparency and outlook recently. You are an inspiration to us all :heart:

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

OMG that means so much to me! Being transparent in my writing has been very liberating. Once I stop trying to hide my mistakes it has less of a hold over me and I can move on from it more easily! Perfection is overrated! Thanks for providing that outlet for me! :star_struck: