Web Series World News: Inclusion and Inspiration

(Stareable) #1

Welcome to Web Series World News! This week’s topic…

The inspiration aspect of inclusion

This week Fast Company reported that women who watched “The X-Files” pursued more careers in STEM. If you’ll recall, The X Files isn’t an overly activist-focused show, which only goes to show that representation, full stop, matters.

Many creators who don’t consider their shows particularly inclusive or diverse often write themselves off because their show isn’t explicitly to “raise awareness” or “promote diversity.” However, art doesn’t have to have an activist call to action at the end of each episode to be socially relevant and promoting positive representation!

That in mind… what kinds of representation is your show helping promote? Who are you hoping your show inspires? Dig deep!

(Bri Castellini) #2

Brains:

• Women, mostly. I have a chubby female lead with a romantic arc and an action-adventure arc that never mention her weight, women in positions of power, and an overarching theme of women being the survival majority after the apocalypse (because toxic masculinity kills, y’all)

Sam and Pat:

• Normalizing casual discussions of mental illness (it’s not always doom and gloom! Therapy is normal! Being open about your diagnosis isn’t bad!)

(Darek Kowal) #3

I’d say basically everyone …

(Herman Wang) #4

A recent casting call for a Toronto-area production (eyeroll)

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #5

We have mixed ethnicities, LGBTQ youth, and teens in single parent households on our show. I hope to inspire anyone who feels they don’t belong where they are. And to remind them where they are is temporary and the world is waiting for them to shine their light.

(Bri Castellini) #6

Boy howdy that’s a blisteringly white casting call

(Herman Wang) #7

Yeah, I don’t see how any of those roles has to be white.

(Bri Castellini) #8

Because the filmmakers won’t be tied down by your PC AGENDA

(Kyla) #9

I did some research and apparently the show is recreating the ~spooky~ experiences of paranormal investigators, so I guess that makes sense for specifics, but couldn’t they have included the ~spooky~ experiences of minority paranormal investigators? (although it may have been difficult to find people as paranormal stuff just screams “white nonsense”)

(Herman Wang) #10

I guess that’s fair, and explains why it’s mostly males too.