What would get you to participate in AMAs more often?

(Stareable) #1
  • I already participate in AMAs
  • Different day (comment with better day)
  • Different time of day (comment with better time)
  • Different kinds of hosts (comment with hosts)
  • Other (comment to explain)

0 voters

Currently, every Thursday from 2-3pm EST we host web series/industry expert Ask-Me-Anythings live on the forum, and we’d like to increase our attendance at these! Let us know how we can do that!

(Bri Castellini) #2

@alwaysafilmgeek @ghettonerdgirl @OSTSG @barbaramcthomas @afbarbag @dj_tilney @ronVceo @movieguyjon @mintypineapple @SnobbyRobot @filmwritr4 @idgafwebseries @ZackMorrison18 @mkatiehunter @DarekKowal @Brad_Riddell @RDRICCI @Offbeat @whoisjonporter @jonathankyall @JonSosis @shrutesnladders @Ian_David_Diaz @mdec24 @RobbieRuviews @OddLantern @floorthirteen @solostinlost @w-e-spear @olga_markovic @cec263 @Halen_Williamson @tastewithkevin @danielmhart @sandwich_fam

(Erik Urtz) #3

I’m generally working at the time. I find that there are two types of people when it comes to this sort of thing. Those that only participate when they are at work, and those that only participate when they are off of work…

(Bri Castellini) #4

Hahahaha it’s so true, because I’m the former. I’m complicated though because this IS my work. How do you think you get people to consistently participate in WebSeriesChat at the exact same time though? That’s why I initially chose the timing!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #5

For the most part I participate in these but sometimes they sneak up on me. Sometimes I’m following the whole AMA conversation but don’t know what to ask. I know you guys do a heads up earlier in the week but I don’t always see it.

(Bri Castellini) #6

How would be better to announce? Maybe just a forum post the day before reminding you?

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #7

Yes! That’ll give me an idea what to ask. I normally check out links too when they’re included.

(Erik Urtz) #8

Well it’s really difficult actually. Part of it is through hosting it consistently for so long. Another part is just making sure you provide value as often as you can. I make sure I tweet as many people as I can regularly to keep it fresh in their minds. The biggest problem is that people in this community seem to come and go… so rather than building and building it’s been more like churning and churning. That’s probably not all that helpful because I think you have all these things down, the rest is kind of just up to making sure you get the content in front of new people regularly.

(William E. Spear) #9

On the positive side: The AMAs help me quickly acquire knowledge I don’t necessarily know that I need. On the the negative side, I am almost always working when they are held. In any event, please continue as I appreciate learning from many sources.

(Kallum Weyman) #10

They are at odd times for me just due to living in the UK and they fall straight into when I am busy or need a rest. I try and take part in as many as I can, however I always try asking intresting questions and if I don’t know who the person is I try my best to do a little research so I can craft a good question so some times I just don’t ask a question because I am not sure I have anything intresting to say.

(Emma Drewry) #11

I think it’s hard for me to be there when they’re being held, since I’m working or in class. I also feel like it’s hard to predict what types of knowledge the people in the AMAs will have, and thus hard to know if I can get the answers I need/want beforehand, so I don’t know how much value participating will get me before I make the decision to participate.

(Kyla) #12

I have either class or rehearsal at that time (changes week to week) so I try and swing by on occasion when I’m in class, but it’s usually just not doable and I absolutely can’t during rehearsal ¯_(ツ)_/¯

(Jonathan Hardesty) #13

It really boils down to the type of guest and what I can get from the AMA. For a lot of general industry-related topics I already have that knowledge, so I don’t have any questions to ask. Stuff like SFX, editing, general filmmaking techniques, and how to find an audience are topics that are valuable for newcomers but aren’t necessarily going to distract me from my work. And yeah, I’m also active during work hours as I tend to go internet recluse in the evening. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Melissa Malone) #14

Unfortunately, I CAN participate/interact with the forum for my morning job- since I’m literally at my computer working from home most days. However, I leave at 2PM exactly for my afternoon job which involved tiny humans and no screen time for me. Doh.

(Mary Julia DeCarlo) #15

I’m usually at work when I get the notification and don’t want to get caught researching someone and chatting on a forum on the clock! If I got the alert further in advance I could research the person off the clock and then throw the question up quickly. Could potentially do a call for questions the night before for people who aren’t available at the exact time.

(Pablo Andreu) #16

After work would be better for me, but in my last job during the day probably was better for me. I just can’t steal away for longer than doing something quick (like leaving this comment). I think @SnobbyRobot is right: There are those who rather engage while at work and those who rather engage after work. I guess the challenge for you is figuring out which group is larger. Some AB testing might be in order.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #17

I only participate at work. :smile:

(Bri Castellini) #18

So I did what y’all suggested and added this yesterday with some context for today’s AMA guest. Jon I’m replying direct to you because one of these articles (that he wrote) touches how best to use digital advertising dollars so I think that’d be a great thing to ask him about :slight_smile:

(Jonathan Hardesty) #19

Here’s hoping the answer is more than just “find your audience and engage.” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, I’ll have to stop by and figure out how I’m going to ask about that.