When making a Web Series

(Ian David Diaz) #1

Is casting important when making a web series, is technical quality important, lighting, sound, location, production design, costume, what about a sellable concept? Is it worth all the effort knowing that the chances of your show going viral are a million to one? I approached mines as a TV series and shot accordingly, not caring about what others will think knowing that maybe a few hundred will view it. When you have very little money do you ignore all of above and throw caution to the wind just making something within your means or do you push for it to be something more? What do you guys think?

(Bri Castellini) #2

I think it very much depends on what your goals are. If you’re looking to sell to a network or add a piece to your portfolio for future jobs, production quality far outweighs need for quantity. If you’re looking to build an audience, you may sacrifice some production quality to increase the quantity of your output. (all this assuming budget is finite).

(Herman Wang) #3

Budget is always finite. A large part of being a creator is using your vision to shape the final product through the decisions you make. And your vision may be totally different from someone else’s.

(Ian David Diaz) #4

Very interesting answers - I shall ponder…

(Chris O'Brien 🤖) #5

Casting might be the single most important part of your entire project aside from having a good script and being able to bring people together to actually make the thing. If even remotely possible, hire a Casting Director. It’s just one of those areas where we really don’t know what we don’t know until it’s too late. 90% of directing is casting.

I think the rest of the question regarding investing budget in technical quality has been answered in a few other threads. I think if you can, you should make it the highest quality possible, but as many have pointed out in replies in many threads here, it really depends on what you are trying to do. Is it just a passion project? Are you creating a calling card–something you will be proud to put your name on as a writer/director/producer and say “I MADE this with only my money. Hire me to make stuff with your money.” Are you practicing? Is it an application for school? Is it a pitch / proof of concept to get funding for a larger project?

If you have the money and you can comfortably spend it, I don’t think there’s ever really a downside to making it the best it can be, so it comes down to making sure you have your priorities right. It’s no good to dump a ton of money into a pro camera if you don’t have lights or anyone who knows where to put them to actually take advantage of that camera. It’s pointless to spend years developing your script if your casting is bad. It’s not worth the time (and money) spend finding the perfect cast if you don’t put any effort into hair, makeup, locations, set design. You get the point.

(Ian David Diaz) #6

I agree, all the points that you have raised has value thanks, mate.

(Collene Webb) #7

Work to the best of your ability within your time and money limitations.

I think the writing, acting and directing is crucial. The audience can forgive other things not being brilliant. Great storytelling and characters has always been important to us as humans!

Getting the basic lighting, camera and sound right so that you can clearly see and hear the actors is the main thing.

You should do what you’re passionate about and what challenges you. Have a target audience in mind but also don’t worry too much about ‘what people will think of you’.

Of course, everything depends on where you’re at in your career and budget.