Adobe Audio Workflow Advice, Please

(Laura Pepper) #1

Hi,

My audio editor is no longer available, and I’m trying to learn efficient and effective audio editing. With all the options, slider combos, and effects, I can’t figure it out. To boot, some of the audio has excessive noise, and I find the vocals degrading.

I’m watching really great tutorials, but can’t seem to replicate their success. I have Adobe CC & edit in Premiere.

Do you have a general workflow/order of operations that you consistently use? Do you edit solely in Premiere, in Audition - or certain tasks in either?

Thanks in advance,
Laura

(Bri Castellini) #2

@Editors?

(Ian David Diaz) #3

Hi Laura, I edit on Adobe Premiere Pro and I did find Adaptive Noise Reduction rubbish as it has a delay, there are other noise reduction plug-ins and a mixer in Premiere Pro that can help to a degree, but it all depends on how bad your sound is. If it’s really bad the only thing I can suggest is bring your actors in and record their dialogue again.

You don’t need a sound studio for this, use a quiet room away from traffic with your MIC plugged into the camera. Make sure the room is not too big, (a bedroom is good for this as things like beds and clothes sucks up unwanted sound), place your directional MIC and actors away from the windows, shut all doors in the room, turn everything off, computers, heaters, etc, and record. One tip is to record the bad sound on your cell, make them listen to it so they can get the inclination and timing. They listen, you stop the recording and you make them say it 5 seconds after they have heard it. Reason being is that they will retain the tempo more if there’s less of a gap between them hearing it and them recording it, all they have to do is copy what they’ve heard. I must admit there’s more to all of this than what I’ve written above but this is the basics.

When editing, if the scene is people talking to each other, if the new sound drifts off, cut to other actors who are listening, then back to the main person when the sound is back in sync. Also what helps the new sound work is room/outside atmos. This sound once placed over the new dialogue and mixed it should cover the mix of the new sound levels.

There’s a lot of atmos sounds for free on Youtube, also lots of sound effects too. As I said depending on how bad your sound is you might have to recreate the sound again from the floor up, this is a very cheap way of doing it.

Making films is about knowledge and common sense and sometimes you’ll find common sense is not too common. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps.

(Deb Ethier) #4

I’ve been humming and hawing since you posted about whether to reply and if my reply could possibly be helpful (I’ve written this post three times!) but I’m going to really stick my neck out here… I don’t have Adobe CC (for audio I use Audacity and Mixcraft 8 Pro and only do voiceover), AND I only do very basic audio processing as I don’t have a lot of background knowledge in this area, but I’m thinking the order of operations would be fairly universal. I’m sure (I hope!) others with more audio experience will jump in and correct any glaring mistakes or oversights.

Audacity actually has a pretty decent noise reduction function, but NR should be done last so that the other operations are being applied to your basic raw recording (these other operations can sometimes add other audio artifacts to be removed later).

Again, what I do is super basic (and for voiceover), but the order I do things in Audacity is: pitch adjustment ( if needed ; I do all my own voices, so I use this a lot); a high pass filter (my own user presets); Compressor (again, user presets); adjust peak amplification (for voice) to -8 dB and then do the NR (it’s based on a small sample of the noise you want to eliminate; I have it set fairly low and may need to run it twice; too much really messes with the audio quality) . If you find the result too dry you may want to add some space to it. When all is said and done (and if I want to; depends on the recording) I’ll then use the Classic Master Limiter in M8 set to Master CD (I tend to use this for the music bits).

(Jonathan Hardesty) #5

If you have Adobe CC, you should have access to Adobe Audition, which integrates with Premiere “relatively” smoothly. I am not very good at working with it, but you can find some tutorials out there that would give you a good head start. There are a lot more audio editing tools available in audition for you and it has a stronger noise reduction, although it’s not going to be able to save audio from HEAVY noise. I have had some luck taking out smaller room noise with actors that are loud and clear in the recording.

(Carlo Delmar) #6

If you want to record new audio in a makeshift home recording studio, then you may find this article, written for indie radio and podcast people, useful: Voice Recording in the Home Studio - Transom

(Laura Pepper) #7

Thanks Ian!

It was one of those moments where my shotgun mic was being used on another scene. We may have had the Rode for DSLR, and a quiet actress. But, not ideal audio for sure. I now have multiple shotgun and lavs.

I ended up doing a combo of adaptive - after making the audio a subsequence, and then the tweaks in audition. But, being a noob to the audition process, also ended up creating a ton of unnecessary files while experimenting with it. A good learning experience overall.

I had to ADR bits of my feature, so I’ve been through that process as well. Luckily, I was able to salvage it to decent quality here.

Thanks again!

(Laura Pepper) #8

Thank you - useful for my next potential venture!

(Laura Pepper) #9

Thanks Jon!

I did use a combo of Premiere & Audition. Was able to salvage the audio, but it isn’t ideal.

I think I watched too many expert tutorials. May be time to master the programs & create content for the beginner…