Aimee-Lynn Chadwick and David Barry (Tinsel's Town)

A little bit about “Tinsel’s Town” and its full-time denizens:

The show was written by David C Barry as the online prequel to “The Lullaby League”, a television pilot currently in development with “Tinsel’s Town” director, Michael Lindsay-Hogg. Aside from being an expert dry-joke teller, Michael won a BAFTA and managed grab a few Tony and Emmy nominations in his spare time as well. Plus, he wears the coolest eyeglasses, which explains his eye for spotting talent.

Which brings us to Aimee-Lynn Chadwick, not just our Tinsel and your Tinsel, but THE only person in the history of people who could ever play Tinsel. An exaggeration, but only slightly – Aimee-Lynn was chosen from an audition pool of over 700 actors and showed up for her audition already channeling the character’s trademark vulnerability and whacky fortitude. Aimee-Lynn is a talented (really talented) singer with a background in musical theater who has sharpened her already sharpened comedy chops at The Groundlings.

David Barry is an award-winning writer and uncle (the award was for the uncle part) who’s been lucky enough to write for and with some of the acting world’s greatest talents, including Academy-Award winner Ellen Burstyn. He just produced a panel discussion on Ageism in Hollywood featuring Kathy Griffin, Lynn Whitfield, Lesley Ann Warren, Jobeth Williams and Sharon Lawrence.

As for “Tinsel’s Town” – the show is a comedy about a struggling LA actress who makes a misguided bit for fame and attention by launching her own YouTube channel. As expected the road to fame is littered with red lights and road kill, so there are some wrongs taken as the know-it-all discovers she might not know as much as she thinks – least of all about herself. A satire of our culture’s obsession with personality at the expense of talent, “Tinsel’s Town” and its titular character will go through some tunnels in its second season (off the YouTube platform) as we meet some of Tinsel’s extended family…not all of whom are fans.

2 Likes

When will there be new shows?

Welcome, David and Aimee-Lynn! Just to get us started off, do you guys have any favorite web series? Other than Tinsel’s Town, of course :slight_smile:

Yes! There will be a whole new season, with 16 new episodes.

2 Likes

When are you releasing them, and will you do it one at a time, in groups, or all at once?

So excited, I can’t wait! Love the show!

1 Like

did you guys build a set for tinsel’s room, or did you film in someone’s apartment with really good production design?

Hi, there! Thanks for having us! Yes, I was a huge fan of Teachers when it was a web series. Ditto for High Maintenance and Broad City.

1 Like

Hi, Sam – yes, we turned my neighbor’s living room into a bedroom about 2 hours before cameras rolled!

1 Like

Thank you for the lovely Welcome Bri! Excited to be here! Let’s see…currently, I am enjoying the web series “Relationship Status” on GO90Xo I think it is very well shot, and I love the characters, the acting and the different looks into each of the characters relationships.
And although not technically a “series” per say, I am oddly obsessed with THATPOPPY on youtube … it is my guilty pleasure lol

1 Like

We’ll be releasing them all at once, this time around off the YouTube platform. Just so everyone can experience the show the way it was meant to be viewed from a narrative standpoint (yep, there’s a plot), we’ll be releasing the first season as well.

2 Likes

Had either of you had experience in the web series space before? And now having had this experience, is it a format you’d like to revisit in other projects, or do you see it as a stepping stone to more traditional mediums?

did you get to keep up all the production design while you produced the season, or did you have to rebuild it every time you had a shoot day? what was the design process like, and what are your favorite pieces of that set?

Hi, Meg: Gosh, such mixed feelings about that. I never like to rule anything out entirely, especially a format that allows such creative freedom, but there are still shackles and I’d have to say that unless the right project came to mind and hand, I’d say this is a stepping stone to more traditional ways of storytelling. Plus, this is a prequel, so the idea from the start was to use it as a springboard to something else.

2 Likes

What went into the decision to releasing all at once, versus once or twice per week? Did it change the way you wrote the season? And what do you think would have been lost if you released them one at a time? There’s a lot of different opinions in the community about what release style is best, so I’m curious what went in to your decision!

Makes sense! What would “the right project” look like, do you think? And what do you mean by shackles?

Hi Meg! Great Question! I personally had never done a web series before I auditioned for “Tinsels Town” To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect at all, and my reps at the time kinda treated it like something that I shouldn’t do. After reading the audition sides, I just KNEW I HAD TO be the one giving Tinsel her “outside voice” David and I really connected on a level I was quite amazed with. I think the platform (in my opinion) of web series is an INCREDIBLE medium and stepping stone to create shorter forms of content that can eventually evolve into more traditional mediums for sure. I would definitely consider Re-visiting it, and encourage others to create Their own creative , quality content as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We shot everything – all 125 pages in 10 days. Poor Aimee! Everything rested on her sturdy shoulders, since this a vlog-style telling of a story and she came through like a champ. So sets were built once – we did have to reshoot the grandma scenes because of a sound problem, though.

3 Likes

For Aimee: did you watch any other web series or YouTube vloggers to prepare for your role? Was preparing for a vlog-style show significantly different from preparing for a more traditional one?

1 Like

Would you ever consider creating your own series, or is your focus strictly on acting?