Alicia J. Rose - AMA The Benefits of Gusbandry Web Series Creator, Serial Crowdfunder and guerrilla marketer!

(Alicia J Rose) #62

ideally it starts with press quotes, a short description. A little blurb from the creators/stars. links to screeners. a cool picture and bios of the key players

(Meg Carroway) #63

Do you have a good way to be consistent with that engine, then? I’m not really a compulsive poster but I know I need to be- so how do I keep it fresh and know that the energy I’m putting in is optimal? I don’t want to just tweet into the void, you know?

(Alicia J Rose) #64

Gusbandry is a case study - WORK YOUR FRIENDS HARD. Make them all become fans of your project via all the platforms. Then make sure your cast and crew are doing the same. Once you have that base built you can amplify it with ads, posting, and targeting “friends of friends” etc. Word of mouth is great too. we had multiple public screenings - which gave a huge boost to our local profile and helped us get some pretty sweet press in the beginning

(Alicia J Rose) #65

Ask for help. Take a bath. Smoke a joint. Change your perspective. Make a fun video with your cast. Do something that would ENTERTAIN YOU. Get outrageous. Think - WHAT WOULD GET MY ATTENTION?

(Jaime Lancaster) #66

Did you tailor that “working” to people? Did you ever feel guilty? Guilt is something I deal with a lot, lol. I don’t want to burn people out or burn my reputation with them and make them less willing to help out ever at all and I worry “working” them and insisting will be the wrong decision

(sam lockie-waring) #67

what if you’re already limited on time and whatnot? how do you decide what is worth the time spent (social media, supplemental content, etc etc) and what isn’t?

(Alicia J Rose) #68

OH MAN, it was hard. so hard. I just kept going. I PERSONALLY asked friends to help and to donate and to repost. the more personal you make it the harder it is for people to say no. there were so many days i just didn’t want to ask. but i did. Also- don’t let the mid campaign slump bum you out. people really donate at the beginning and at the end. in the middle WORK YOUR BFFS so you have something to post about. people who will do anything for you.

(Alicia J Rose) #69

really targeting your audience. making the posts seem fun and casual. making sure there’s a good link attached. we have found that the most clicks come from rad press bits or article about the the show with a “STREAM NOW” component in the text that folks can click on.

(Alicia J Rose) #70

TAG TAG TAG. Your posts get amplified if you tag folks. Tag your actors and crew. Ask them to personally share stuff. it helps. Keep the voice of your show authentic and fresh, speak from the heart and have a consistent pov

(Bri Castellini) #71

Do you tend to narrow your “demographic” when you do those targeted posts? Or do you try to stay vague in age/location stuff?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #72

Would it be too much to ask to be able to see a particular post that did well for you in the past? I’m especially curious how you worked the link into your posts and got the stream now component in there.

(Meg Carroway) #73

Even if I can’t pay anyone? I think a lot of us worry more about this because we aren’t paying our cast/crew so helping promote seems like too big of an ask, especially so frequently and consistently.

(Alicia J Rose) #74

It can be a guilt spiral for sure. SO MANY ARTISTS HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THIS - YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! But look at it this way - people give money to all kinds of shit - they may as well give it to you to make your dreams come true - and something cool for them to watch. there is so little support - grants and such for episodic, crowdfunding puts the controls back in our hands

(Alicia J Rose) #75

some people just want the experience of helping you. for their resume. for school credit, cause they are a fan. Internships are great. You’d be surprised. Keep a time limit on it - like a 3 month thing and set parameters and goals for what you want. It helps

(Blair Hunter) #76

Can you talk about distribution tips? How do you make the most of your release and maybe even finding a non-YouTube place to stream? And, really, MAKING a show that distributors would feel comfortable distributing in the first place? (not even on a writing level- a production one. Especially with no money for crew/locations/lighting)

(Alicia J Rose) #77

I want to make sure to answer this question… BESIDES crowdfunding we brought on some sponsors this season. Though we aimed for 25K we only funded 15 (DAMN ELECTION DEPRESSION), so we needed to find at least another 10-15k to shore up our post-production-promotion.

We decided to take that 15K and produce 3 episodes of the show - then have something to show new sponsors. it worked and we found 2 -one real estate company that is owned by a huge fan of the show, and one weed company who we actually found right before shooting (shout out to TIM LEVINE!!) - we wrote them into an episode and the gave us $ and FREE WEED!!

(Meg Carroway) #78

Ooooo that would be SO helpful! And while you’re at it, can you share posts that you think really helped you with your community building? People are always saying in these AMAs that you have to build a community but I still feel like I don’t have any ACTIONABLE steps you know?

(Alicia J Rose) #79

Truly its trial and error. You just keep going and trying new shit - when it works, do more. When it doesn’t try something else.

(Bri Castellini) #80

So a big piece of advice would be to have a proof of concept? What about if your show was, say, animated?

(Alicia J Rose) #81

Troll our page:

check out which posts have the biggest likes.