AMA - Angelique Toschi-LaRue, Digital and Social Media Marketing

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #21

Instagram ads can easily be done at the same time as FB ads in Facebook Ad Manager - and FB can do the hard work of optimizing them. If you are new to Ads I’d recommend that. There are plenty of free tutorials on how to place Facebook ads, so google them before you start.

In regards to building a marketing strategy, there is no simple answer. But I would start by identifying your audience and then trying to reach them on places online that they hang out or populate.

(Bri Castellini) #22

Can you talk more about this? We tend to get this advice a lot as a community of people scrambling for online attention but it’s hard to get a straight, actionable answer about how to actually do this. ESPECIALLY on Facebook since that seems to be a hub for a lot of demographics.

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #23

I get what you are saying. BUT Facebook throttles reach, so it’s an easy way to get your message in front of more eyeballs. Also, creating compelling ads will help make them seem less pushy.

(Bri Castellini) #24

I keep forgetting that Instagram and Facebook are the same company now- didn’t know that, about the ads!

(Jaime Lancaster) #25

I’m ok without a simple answer- I’m ready to do the work!! :slight_smile: When you say “reach out to them,” how do you mean? “Hi, I’m Jaime, here’s my web series”?

(Meg Carroway) #26

What do you mean by “compelling”?

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #27

Focus on your key demographic. The people you are building content for. Then do the research. Find out where they hang out online, what they like, what they are following. Use this to focus your ad buys, content, and marketing push through Facebook Ads, Hashtags on Twitter, and reaching out to the right blogs and websites for PR.

(Joseph Steven Heath) #28

I more meant that Facebook themselves seems kind of pushy and sketchy. I get constant notifications for my fan page about making ads. More than I get notifications from actual people. Though that would probably change if I actually made some ads… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #29

Show them why your web series is something they will want to watch. How does it satisfy a need for them or answer a question they have or make them feel included in something.

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #30

Find a way to present your series or project in a way that would make someone in your key demographic want and NEED to watch it.

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #31

Yeah, but there are ways of turning off your notifications. But then it won’t be as easy to monitor your page if people have questions, etc.

(sam lockie-waring) #32

hey thanks for joining us today! i know you’re more a writer but i’m more design oriented and i was wondering if you had any tips for imagery/visual promos to maximize their like usefulness as promotional materials. any types of photos, colors, etc that are really good for this sort of thing? especially if i’m spending money on promoting it?

(Jaime Lancaster) #33

Can you give me an example? Real or made up! I’m just an “in practice” learner I have been told :slight_smile:

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #34

Great question! So visuals from your project that are interesting, but don’t give away too much of the story are always good. And minimal text on the images is key (especially since Facebook only allows text on 20% of an AD).

Things that seem like “memes” or could be turned into those aren’t a bad idea either.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #35

I mainly ask because FB and Twitter ads are confusing, unintuitive, and have inconsistent and irregularly updated documentation on the web. I’ve wasted so much money on FB ads with just trial and error and still don’t understand it. At low budgets, what should we just not bother with on FB ads? How do you gather the information you get from FB?

If this is too many questions, I apologize. FB and Twitter ads are super intimidating, and I know that a new content creator will look at them and curl up in the fetal position and cry. I’ve created a few cartoon series for the web and I STILL have issues with this. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Meg Carroway) #36

Do you have an example of a really good “compelling” ad? Especially one by a web series. Would love to see that in action so I can steal it hahha

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #37

Hi JCaster. Can you actually expand on the type of example you are talking about? :slight_smile:

Following the threads here are a little difficult.

(Angelique Toschi-LaRue) #38

For a web series, nothing comes to mind.

BUT if your webseries is being hosted on Facebook, your best ads would be putting some money behind key episodes or trailers. Let your content do the work FOR you. :slight_smile:

(Jaime Lancaster) #39

I’m sorry!! Of course! I was asking about an example for when you said “Show them why your web series is something they will want to watch. How does it satisfy a need for them or answer a question they have or make them feel included in something.”

I’m still not totally sure what the actual tweet or Facebook post or whatever would LOOK like I guess :slight_smile:

(Bri Castellini) #40

Since I bet you’ve seen tons of examples- what’re some trends you’ve noticed about web series marketing and branding?