AMA- Megan Brotherton

(Megan Brotherton) #42

Hi Marc,
I’m not sure I understand your question… but I think present day/realistic stuff is easiest to produce and will prob best serve you as an actor. Unless you think you are best marketed in a specific genre? Otherwise go with what’s easiest and just focus on making it look good and capturing the best performance.

(Marc L) #43

I am sorry for the confusion- I was asking if it is better for a low budget production with an actor focus as a goal to be comedy, drama, horror, or some other genre. Thank you for your advice! No period pieces : )

(Megan Brotherton) #44

I hadn’t really thought of it that way. The longer-form work has given me access to the festival circuit and the connections with programmers and industry people that come with that. The short form stuff I really did for the instant gratification of getting it out there and eyeballs on it asap. Now that my body of work is expanding the two are starting to unite–the two networks crossover. But to be honest that wasn’t my intention:)

(Bri Castellini) #45

Haha fair enough! Any particular festivals you recommend, especially for people who might be a bit newer to the process (and perhaps aren’t QUITE Sundance quality yet?)

(Chris Hadley) #46

What media outlets do you recommend when trying to get coverage for your show? (I should mention that I write for one, Snobby Robot.)

(Bri Castellini) #47

Signal boost! I think this might have gotten buried :slight_smile:

(Megan Brotherton) #48

Good question. Last year I decided to focus on directing and yes I feel like it’s the best fit for me, but I still act in other people’s stuff and opportunities keep coming in acting as well. I actually have an audition today!

I find acting and directing inform each other. Directing has made me a better actor and and my acting background is a major strength in my directing.

(Meg Carroway) #49

lol thanks Bri I forgot I even asked that!

(Meg Carroway) #50

Do you have, like, two biggest lessons you’ve learned about directing that you can impart? I want to start getting into directing at some point too, but right now am just writing and producing :slight_smile:

(Megan Brotherton) #51

Save your money and don’t apply to Sundance!!! I get the festival question A LOT and the answer is really dependent on your film (sorry lame answer!), so the best thing I can say is do your research. Look at what festivals prefer i.e. some fests are really into series now so target those if that’s what you have. AND look at what they programmed last year. If it’s similar to yours then go for it! If it’s way off or they program very few shorts/series/whatever you made, save your money.

(Chris Hadley) #52

Regarding episode releases: I’ve considered doing ongoing, monthly episodes of my show, rather than seasons with a set amount of episodes (all of which run 3-5 minutes on average). Which do you feel would be best?

(Megan Brotherton) #53

That’s a greta start so You’ll have a good understanding of everything before you direct. I’d say the first and most important lesson I learned was you have to not care what other people think of you. Put the creative above any concern of people liking you. I mean don’t be an asshole or put anyone in danger of course but be lazer focused on capturing what you need and let your producers worry about keeping everyone happy.

(Meg Carroway) #54

I’m not doing an AMA but I would definitely recommend not having a whole month between episodes, ESPECIALLY for ones so short. Hard to build momentum that way, esp (again) if the eps are so short. You don’t really want people to only have 3 minutes of content per month, otherwise they’ll forget about you because that’s barely .00001% of their whole month and to stick in their minds you def need more than that

(Chris Hadley) #55

I’ve been working on some extra short content that would air in between those episodes, so it wouldn’t just be the main show on a monthly basis.

(Megan Brotherton) #56

Cool! I gotta check it out. Again it’s specific to your project. EDI was about female sexuality and empowerment so I focused on blogs that had the same interest. The more specific you can get the better.

(Bri Castellini) #57

Signal boost post of a few unanswered ones:

(Chris Hadley) #58

I totally understand what you’re saying, and you make a great point. It wouldn’t be a good idea to just post something that’s short but wait a month until you post something new.

(Megan Brotherton) #59

I think either is good, and shorter is always better so keep it as close to the 3 min mark as possible.

(Meg Carroway) #60

Ah I gotcha. Still… a month is a long time. Seems like you should just shoot everything before releasing, even with supplemental, especially if supplemental is even SHORTER, unless you’re doing, like, one main episode a month and then 2-3 shorter things per WEEK. You know?

(Megan Brotherton) #61

Just don’t let it die! If people drop out, replace them. Always talk as if the show is still happening. Believe it and it will! Also start off realistically with people who really seem committed.