"Ave 43" Creator Justin Tanner - AMA

(Justin Tanner) #1

Hi, I’m Justin Tanner, creator of the lurid comedy/mystery webseries Ave 43 which recently started it’s 10th season. I’m a Los Angeles playwright with over 20 produced plays to my credit including “Zombie Attack!” (which ran for ten years in Hollywood '89 to '99.) “Wife Swappers,” “Pot Mom,” & “Day Drinkers,” (Members of the acting company have included Laurie Metcalf, French Stewart, Mark Ruffalo, Mink Stole, Fred Willard, Mary Scheer, Julie Brown, John Glover, Todd Lowe and Johnny Galecki,) I wrote an episode of the ABC cult hit “My So-Called Life” (with Claire Danes) and was staff writer for Season Three of “Gilmore Girls.” I’ve been casting, writing, photographing, directing, editing and doing music coordination for Ave 43 since December of 2008. This Saturday I am filming scenes for the 85th chapter.

There are probably mysteries about Ave 43 that I can help clear up. Questions like “What the hell is going on?” or “Is Mike Debbie’s brother or Debbie’s boyfriend. Or Both.” I can answer questions about the behind-the-scenes dramas of personal clashes and tearful breakdowns, the logistics of filming twelve scenes in one day at your own home - how to make your bathroom look like a gay bar, or how to make muffins, pasta and cocktails all while simultaneously moving lights, redecorating rooms, aiming the camera at the fantastic company of actors and hopefully capturing something worthwhile. And most importantly, wrapping up by cocktail hour so we can spend the next few hours drinking martinis on the front porch.

We've got an AMA for that!
Next Week on the Forum: July 8-14
(Bri Castellini) #2

(Bri Castellini) #3

Hi Justin! So awesome to have you here today! My usual first question is a big-picture one, but based on your intro I have to ask… how DO you make your bathroom look like a gay bar?

(Bri Castellini) #4

(Justin Tanner) #5

First I strip out everything to the walls

(Justin Tanner) #6

Then put in red light bulbs and turn on the fog machine

(Justin Tanner) #7

And then cram as many men as I can in there

(Bri Castellini) #8

Incredible.

(Justin Tanner) #9

I think I’ve had twenty men in at one time. Slightly dangerous

(Bri Castellini) #10

How big is your bathroom???

(Justin Tanner) #11

YOu can’t really spread your arms out all way

(Justin Tanner) #12

I am terrible with distances but probably 10 by 4 feet

(Rick Samuels) #13

Hi Justin. I found out about your show from Stareable and I’m a big fan. What gave you the idea to start the show?

(Nigel Leitch) #14

Hi Justin, AVE 43 is pure genius, very funny and very well written, the acting is awesome. I was just wondering two things: Will Kristian be guesting in any future episodes and my other question is will you please use the insult Nerfcannon as I just made it into an insult and would like it to go viral. Cheers :slight_smile:

(sam lockie-waring) #15

yooooo. that’s pretty dope. how did you light (other than the red bulbs) and fit in yourself shoot that scene?

(Justin Tanner) #16

techinology!

(Justin Tanner) #17

I use flashlights sometimes and some lamps from around the house

(Justin Tanner) #18

I had a company of actors from theatre and we wanted a project to work on and so we started filming in my backyard

(sam lockie-waring) #19

nice. any good strategies for light placement? i’m trying to learn lighting right now and mine always look either flat or weirdly colored

(Chris Hadley) #20

Hey Justin! waves Welcome! It’s great to have you here, and thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

As a writer who’s worked in various mediums, how have you been able to adapt to the demands and needs of a web series, and what are some of the biggest lessons you’ve learned throughout working on Ave 43?