Budget breakdowns

I’m in the process of creating a budget for my upcoming project Illuminagents and I’m using my previous web series to get approximate numbers. This is the breakdown I end up with:

• 20% Cast
  • 50% Crew (both shooting and post-prod)
  • 20% Location
  • 10% Misc (equipment rental, food, etc)

I’m just curious if anyone else varies greatly from that, or if my numbers are somewhat “typical”.

2 Likes

@HackettKate @avincie @Producers?

my art department budget is usually pretty big-- maybe 5% of overall budget-- so my misc category is usually a bit higher. my location costs are also a lot lower usually, because we usually shoot in locations we live in/have control of or can get for really cheap. i think i paid around $150 total for locations for recon, because we built a standing set in my bedroom and only shot on one other location, which was a historic house that the local film frat operates. one of my producers was in the frat so we got the location for $50/day, and we got 3-4 locations. i think locations cost less than our art budget, honestly. but crew was definitely our biggest cost!

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

I’m counting art dept as crew in my numbers, basically anything where a person is paid to do work for the show. Maybe I need a better term than “crew” :slight_smile:

My understanding is that LA is brutal for location costs, so I can see why you’d try to minimize that :slight_smile: In Toronto it’s not that bad to get paid locations.

1 Like

oh, for art department I mean the money they spend, haha! cost of building sets, costumes, props, etc.

but locations in LA are definitely brutal! it’s very expensive to get good locations so we tend to prioritize location when in preproduction.

1 Like

This is roughly how “3 Trembling” broke down, but crew costs were lower and location fees were higher. We had a tiny crew (DP, gaffer/2nd camera, mixer, prod designer, HMU, 1-2 PAs, plus me and 1 producer on set). Many of the crew were working for free (I called in some favors). Location fees in NYC SUCK. Also, transportation costs here are higher on average.

I put in some money for marketing and distribution costs (roughly 15% of the budget) - including festival fees, travel to fests, delivery on various media, posters, postcards, EPKs, etc. I don’t know if that was included in your budget.

This is just a production budget (for now). Not all the funding sources I’ll be looking at cover post-release costs.

Thanks for the input.

1 Like

Would be happy to look at stuff in more detail if you want.

Not necessary thanks, just wanted to see if I’m waaay off the mark, and it doesn’t look like I am.

1 Like

Does anyone here have a good budget template they’d like to share? Thank you in advance!

1 Like

So this isn’t EXACTLY a budget template but it’s a breakdown template I share with students new to the process. Also my budgets tend to be nearly entirely prop/wardrobe-based so the prop breakdown template is usually what my budgets look like. When the project is ongoing, I just keep track of actual spending (and the category the spending occurs in) separately. Production Plan TEMPLATE ("make a copy" to use) - Google Sheets

1 Like

Also there’s this: How To Make a Budget

1 Like