Budgeting!

(Sophie Kokott) #1

Hey all,

I have a budget (a small one) made for the second season of my web series but am looking for some feedback on how you cut costs or negotiate with crew/cast for a low pay! What is a typical flat rate fee people in the film community would be okay with receiving? And how do you go about letting them know there will be pay, but it will be quite small?

Anyone have experience with this?

Let me know!

(William E. Spear) #2

Sophie - Looking forward to the answers as I am in roughly the same circumstances. Good luck with season two.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #3

Hi Sophie! Welcome!

I recommend reading the following: What To Do When You Can't Pay Cast & Crew

If you have to buy equipment for your shoot, try giving it to one of your crew members as payment after shooting. I did this with my DP for season 2 and it cut costs significantly.

Let me know if this helps!

(Bri Castellini) #4

I would work backwards- start with figuring out how many days you’ll need each person on set and then figure out, based on your budget, what you can afford to pay everyone. Then just be really honest with people- more than likely they understood they were signing on for much smaller than “normal” rates. Especially if you have returning people from your first season, any payment at all is an improvement! (I would also recommend checking out this other article after you check out @ghettonerdgirl’s she already linked: 7 Ways to Make Your Second Season Better Than Your First)