Combing Through Comedy: Flagon

(Joseph Steven Heath) #1

Welcome to Combing Through Comedy where Joe Heath of Minty Pineapple Entertainments is going to randomly watch comedy web series from Stareable and then tell you about them. Like… I dunno… are they funny?

Today’s show: Flagon.

Flagon is an animated parody of JRPGs about a woman named Mary who gathers a ragtag group of people to go on a treasure quest with her. This includes a very reluctant bartender, a depressed knight, and a badass elf ranger. Of course, they come across various obstacles along the way, but the way they deal with them is a delightful poke at gaming and fantasy tropes.

First off, the show is gorgeous. The animation is appropriately retro and CUTE. All of the characters are well-written and have very distinct personalities. The voice acting is top-notch. The music is catchy and sounds like it came from an amazing video game.

The show plays around with gaming conventions in a very meta way without going too far as to remove itself from its own reality. There is also a story here with some twists and turns and I’m excited to see where it goes in the second season.

The only negative criticism I have for it is that when Klara shows up, Mary immediately dislikes her. I mean, ultimately, she may be right for not trusting her, but it feels kind of like that whole “Women distrusting women” trope that is way overused.

But other than that minor quibble, everything else about it is a lot of fun. And don’t worry if you don’t know anything about JRPGs. You’ll definitely get more out of it if you do, but if you don’t even know what the J stands for in JRPG (which I don’t), the story and humor are strong enough that it doesn’t matter. Plus it’s like… really short, so you can just bang the whole season out on your lunch break (which I totally did).

The bottom line: Is it funny? YES.

(Bri Castellini) #2

@movieguyjon eyyy look at that Stareable discoverability! (I had nothing to do with this. It’s just very awesome)

(Jonathan Hardesty) #3

Whoa! Hey! Thanks for the review and I COMPLETELY agree with your criticism, which is something I hope to fix going forward. Also appreciate the note that the humor was strong enough to hold up the show even if you didn’t know much about games or what the “J” in “JRPG” stands for.

Thanks for the review!!!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #4

Incidentally, if you’ve got a bigger screen or know anyone with a bigger screen and want to test the 4K remaster I’m doing feel free! Feedback on 4K 2160 Export of Flagon

(Joseph Steven Heath) #5

Is it juicy? I’m betting it’s juicy.

(Bri Castellini) #6

love those juicy role playing games

(Joseph Steven Heath) #7

The rest stands for Role Playing Games???!?!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #8

Hehe, yeah. JRPG stands for Japanese Role Playing Games, which is a video game genre popularized by the Final Fantasy series and defined by its grandiose and sometimes impenetrable plots and turn-based combat.

(Bri Castellini) #9

Not to womansplain, but I’m pretty sure it’s Juicy Role Playing Games.

(Joseph Steven Heath) #10

I thought it was Juicy Ron Paul Governing.