Designer/animator interested in helping with YOUR title graphics and credits!

(Gordon McAlpin) #1

Hullo! I’m a designer and illustrator and animator (sometimes).

And without being mean, I have noticed that many web shows do not pay very much thought to title graphics or credits. And while that can have a certain amateurish charm to it for certain projects, if you wanted YOUR web series (or short or whatever) to look that much more professional, I want to help you avoid that. (…while helping me build my portfolio of work like this on actually-produced projects.)

Most of my portfolio is illustration, but you can find a few examples of logo design and whatnot at my portfolio website.

SO, if you’ve got a series coming up (or already going), do you just want a static logo? You want titles to show the locations for various scenes in your high tech thriller? An animated title “card” and cartoons of your lead characters? Basic end credits? SNAZZY end credits…? Let’s chat.

I base my fee on an hourly rate, so we can discuss your project, its budget, and your needs and I’ll give you a project rate. And if you mention Stareable, I’ll give you a bit of a discount.

E-mail me@gordonmcalpin.com!

(Bri Castellini) #2

I am very curious about this “SNAZZY” end credit entails, because I usually just pick end credit music and a font and time the individual title cards to the beats of the music (I also rarely have more than 5-10 people to credit so I can afford to give most people their own card and still only have credits that last 30 seconds or so)

What makes an end credit sequence more professional and snazzy? I have to admit I’ve never paid much attention to them, as a fan OR a creator.

(Gordon McAlpin) #3

With film, you have the “important people” listed first: director, writers, producers, editor, composer, etc., and each will have a “card” of their own. THEN, they’ll have the semi-boring credits scroll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3rlxrqmw3Y

Marvel and Pixar credits almost always have an elaborate sequence for the main creatives and cast, and Pixar sometimes the the characters playing around alongside the scroll or some other fun element like the dimensionality of the type in the scroll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAqGTR8BUBI

But even TV shows get a little playful sometimes: I watched Daria last night, and the credits were shown alongside images of the characters in weird (for the usually grounded show) costumes. It can be more than illustrations and animation, of course; with a live-action show, I could work with a photographer (or existing cast photos) to do something like that. (I’m also an experienced photo retoucher; I probably could have mentioned that.)

The Gravity Falls finale had a lengthy, “snazzy” sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nDcXgyTAPA

But for a low-budget project, “snazzy” could just mean attractive typography that isn’t just white text on black in Helvetica. You can do that, of course, but it’s also good to have something that complements the show’s logo and other promotional materials (including your website). Working with a designer can make everything look unified, communicate what’s cool or fun (or not fun?) about your project visually, and your show looks more professional in the process.

(Bri Castellini) #4

Thanks for the info and examples! Y’all- get in on this if you have the budget! Graphics especially often get forgotten but having a consistent visual theme/ iconography is SO important when you’re marketing yourself, and even more so when you’re hoping for the odd passive discovery of your projects.

(Gordon McAlpin) #5

Just so people don’t immediately assume “oh, well, we can’t afford to hire a designer for our project,” I’m VERY happy to work with people with small (but reasonable) budgets. Even very simple, clean graphics still look professional and don’t take a lot of time!

If someone literally ONLY needed, for instance, a plain text title card and simple end credits, I could do that for under $200 (and a Graphic Designer credit, naturally). Animation or photo retouching, custom logos, and that sort of thing would raise the fee, of course, because they take more time.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #6

Oh neat! Thank you for this.

I can vouch for Gordon as I actually worked for him for a spell a LONG time ago when I used to live in Chicago. I think it was fixing up older Multiplex strips, yeah? Also been a long time follower (not much of a commenter), and yeah. He’s got the right of it. Seeing less than stellar title/credits can really sap any goodwill earned your show.

(Bri Castellini) #7

I didn’t know you guys knew each other!! I’ve been reading Multiplex since high school and it’s still hella surreal that he’s commenting around these here parts!

(Joseph Steven Heath) #8

Multiplex? My friend Ray Friesen did a guest strip for that once! What a small world.