Do you guys do New Years Resolutions for filmmaking?

(Jaime Lancaster) #1

I’m always trying to increase my productivity and I love doing NYRs for myself (got me to stop smoking, helped me apply to colleges back in the day, etc) and I thought: maybe having year long goals for filmmaking would be useful! Kinda like a big picture version of the monthly goals we do on here :slight_smile:

Would anyone be interested in doing a filmmaking resolutions thread? Put productive thoughts into the universe? I think that could be fun!

(Bri Castellini) #2

I actually started integrating my filmmaking/personal new years resolutions last year and it really helped me! Especially since I kinda consider those categories one and the same haha. I didn’t do AS great this year because of a variety of money and depression reasons (wooooo) but especially with writing resolutions it really helped. This year my creative overall goals were:

• Produce 2 new projects to completion So this is a technical success but I’m considering it a failure since the only thing of my own writing I produced to completion was Sam and Pat. I did help other people produce things to completion, though, so you let me know if it counts.
  • Finish writing Brains. Completed in February and I’m still upset they’ll never see the light of day (though I sent them to @spatulawilwheat and it seems she’s enjoying them a bit so far)
  • Post a blog twice a month and a personal YouTube video once a month. Complete if I finish December! This schedule-style resolution was really useful because it had built-in guideposts. Highly recommend doing something like this to keep yourself on track.
  • Write 2 new original pilots- one drama, one comedy. Complete, and it wouldn’t have been without this resolution! Again, guideposts and specificity. Saying “write more” isn’t useful.
  • Edit The Toast, my screenplay. [alternate: write a new screenplay] Ended up doing the edit and not the totally new screenplay
  • Work on a set or production that I didn’t write. def complete! And always a good one, I’ve found, because it forces me out of my bubble to help out other shows and meet new people

That’s my super long and self-serving way of saying I’m totally down!

(Bri Castellini) #3

@mintypineapple @Pia_0.0 @samlockie @NerdsOfTheVerse @SecretLivesPS @avincie @movieguyjon @jonathankyall @filmwritr4 @ghettonerdgirl @hermdelica @hailstorm @mdec24 @rjlackie @whoisjonporter @lauriestark @kmd @keif @Starting_Under @HackettKate @thembob @JimiJimi @Huxiley @Monica_Quinn @whoisjonporter @Evie_Marie_Warner @hbnuss

(Arthur Vincie) #4

Yes! I have personal and professional goal sets I put up on my wall every year. I know that some of them are more pie in the sky than others.

My professional ones for 2018:

• Get season 2 of “Three Trembling Cities” off the ground
  • Write a new something (fiction, feature script, pilot, webseries, anything) - this last year has been about revising, adapting, and marketing existing work. So I only wrote a couple of non-fiction pieces
  • Finish this adaptation I’ve been working on for a while.

Good luck to everyone on your goals!

(Joseph Steven Heath) #5

I always make my goals too big. I’m trying to be more realistic. But I also don’t wanna be realistic. So there.

Anyway, here we go:

• Finish My Two Clones. (A short sketch involving clones!)
  • Finish New York Tours (A short sketch involving tours!)
  • Finish Road Trippy (A Hivemind novel I’m writing with friends.)
  • Set up a book signing for The Princess and the Pterodactyls (Available on Amazon right now!)
  • Re-write Mime Games (A script a friend of mine wrote that needs some polishing)

Ok, that’s probably enough, right? Hopefully, I can do more than that, but that’s good enough for now.

(Meg Carroway) #6

I don’t have any right now but I like this idea a lot! Maybe it could be part of the January goals post that @Bri_Castellini does every month?

(Bri Castellini) #7

Double it up- I dig!

(Kate Hackett) #8

I don’t do NYR period. I DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I WANT.

(Bri Castellini) #9

If I don’t have specific guideposts for what I want to accomplish I never accomplish anything lol. If only I had your initiative. I try to keep it just vague enough to leave flexibility but just concrete enough that it’s something I can cross off when completed (instead of an ongoing thing like “write more” which doesn’t mean a damn thing)

(Hillary Nussbaum) #10

Love this idea! I don’t think of them as resolutions, they’re my goals for the year. I’ve been thinking about them but haven’t come up with a list just yet. Will have one by Jan!

(Kallum Weyman) #11

Get stuff done, stop procrastinating and get it done, don’t shoot myself down but make something better.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #12

YES! I don’t have a specific resolution but I like to look back at the year and ask how did I challenge myself? If there are a lot of things GREAT if not I try to write a list of things I can do to grow professionally.

(Bri Castellini) #14

Welcome, Shane! Glad to have you here!

(sam lockie-waring) #15

bri please don’t make me think about this right now. as far as i’m concerned there’s still like six months left in 2017 leave me alone

(Bri Castellini) #16

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: