Film Festivals for Web Series?

(Sophia Gutchinov) #1

What are the best film festival to submit my web series to?

4 Likes
(Herman Wang) #2

The Web Series World Cup has a lot of top-quality festivals in its list. It’s a little late for this year, as some have already passed deadlines, but you can look out for the 2020 list :slight_smile:

1 Like
(Bri Castellini) #3

Tagging NYC-ers @Pablo and @frecklysoprano1 and @avincie and @jonathankyall!

(Jaime Lancaster) #4

Are you looking for festivals in specific areas, or just any old good festivals? Obvious Stareable Fest plug if you haven’t looked there ye :wink:

3 Likes
(Bri Castellini) #5

And submissions directly can be found: filmfreeway.com/stareablefest!

try using the code StareableCommunity for a discount :wink:

1 Like
(Pablo Andreu) #6

I can’t say best since I don’t have enough experience with festivals, but I’ll share my experience:

• Brooklyn Web Fest: They had solid programming and were well-organized. I had a good time both times I went. I didn’t see anything this past cycle. I think they may have closed up shop.

• NYC Web Fest: The organizers were responsive and really nice, but they weren’t super organized. Having said that, I believe when I submitted it was their first or second season, so they might’ve ironed out some of the kinks by now. Also, the awards show, in site of some tech difficulties, was a lot of fun.

• Stareable Fest: This is going to sound like I’m sucking up, but, honestly, I think Stareable Fest was fantastic, especially when you consider that was their first attempt at a festival (I worked at an awards show for five years, so I know how unlikely a feat that is). The programming was solid, the event was well-organized, and the presenters were quality (and accessible). It was a great networking opportunity and a lot of fun. If they managed that on their first attempt, I can’t wait to see what they do on their next attempt.

I’ve heard great things about ITV Fest, NYTVF, Just For Laughs and Toronto Web Fest, but I can’t speak from personal experience.

Hope this helps!

Pablo

(Bri Castellini) #7

Brooklyn web fest is over :frowning:

(Pablo Andreu) #8

That’s too bad.

(Herman Wang) #9

I’ve been to Toronto WebFest (and so has Bri) - it’s a solid festival

2 Likes
(Bri Castellini) #10

@sgutchinov the regular Stareable Fest deadline is March 31st, and the late deadline is April 30th! All of that you can find in this link- filmfreeway.com/stareablefest

(Arthur Vincie) #11

Oh jeez I’m sorry I’m late to the party here. Here’s fests that I’ve had a good experience with:

• Hollyweb
  • StareableFest (duh)
  • UK Webfest
  • T.O. Webfest
  • Art of Brooklyn (they prefer premieres) -OR- IndieBOOM! (online specific, and while I used to be skeptical of online only they do a good job of getting the word out and getting the piece seen)
  • Katra Film Series - I had some trepidation going into this but it turned out to be a good experience

Non-web-specific fests:

• Shriekfest - for sci-fi/horror/fantasy
  • Nevermore - for sci-fi/horror/fantasy
  • Boston Sci-Fi
  • Phoenix Film Festival
  • Tribeca (hard to get into - note that I’ve worked for them and also worked on films that have gotten in). I don’t really get their webseries “premiere” requirement and hope that that’s changed

If you’ve made something that’s genre-specific (sci-fi/horror/fantasy), I’d also look into applying to cons. I had great experiences at the cons - the projection systems varied tremendously from terrible to great, but the audience is terrific (I had a couple of Q&As go on almost as long as the film).

2 Likes
(Mika Marcovitz) #12

Thanks, Arthur!
(And Bri, as always!)

Mika Gill
The Grey Matter Archives

(Carlo Delmar) #13

Some of the film festivals in the USA that happen at cons are:

I can add more to this list, but this reply is getting long.

The Imaginarium Comic Con Film Festival (unrelated to the Imaginarium Convention Film Festival listed above) is a traveling film festival that shows its movies at a few different cons. This year they are screening at Wisconsin Comic Con, Atlanta Comic Con, Tampa Bay Comic Con, Michigan Comic Con, and Indiana Comic Con.

3 Likes
(Ian David Diaz) #14

Good list shame this wasn’t displayed at the top of this year I could have entered a few. Thanks for the info Carlo.

(John Helde) #15

Seattle International Film Festival is a well-respected regional fest, a general fest, but in the last couple years they have created a specific thread for Episodics within their ShortsFest weekend. We screened our pilot for CUDDLE in an episodic package that was really strong and brought in a number of filmmakers from around the country.

2 Likes
(Herman Wang) #16

Wasn’t that as a result of absorbing Seattle Web Fest?

1 Like
(John Helde) #17

Yes, that’s right.

1 Like
(Jonathan Fournier) #18

Hey,

Bumping this up. Wondering if anyone else has experience with NYC Web Fest? Considering applying, but haven’t seen too much on it and their fee is pretty hefty. Thoughts?

Cheers!

(Bri Castellini) #19

@pablo ?

2 Likes
(Pablo Andreu) #20

My web series got into the “Made in NY” category a couple of years ago. Here are my takeaways:

1. The organizers are super nice. They seem to really want to help and are flexible if you can’t make their deadlines.
  2. They’re a bit disorganized. Their instructions weren’t always clear. The website is not organized logically. They miss their own deadlines. Uploading your media was a weird process in which everyone was given the same login for a Dropbox. I think this is (or was) not a lack of discipline but a function of them learning on the job.
  3. The awards show was fun. They had some tech issues, but it didn’t matter much. It was a festive atmosphere––great for networking and just having a good time.

We didn’t win, so I don’t know how effective a win at NYC Web Fest is for promoting your show. It’s also been a couple of years so they have worked out some of those kinks I mentioned.

In sum, there was organizational issues, but I had fun and felt part of a community. It depends on what your priorities are.

3 Likes