George Reese - Seeka TV Co-Founder/Author/Entrepreneur/Filmmaker - AMA!

(Meg Carroway) #42

SUPPLEMENTARY CONTENT! SUCH A GOOD QUESTION!

(Blair Hunter) #43

I did mean from a feature perspective :slight_smile: Roku integration is awesome though!

What went into co-production for those shows you listed? And why those shows/ do you plan to do more co-productions in the future?

(George Reese) #44

I think vlog/found footage is a great, unique use of the online format. From a Seeka TV perspective, we don’t do vlogs/found footage (though we do have “narrative vlogs”). But that’s just because of what Seeka TV is trying to do.

The virtue of a vlog/found footage format is that it is inexpensive to produce. If you can make it entertaining, you have content and a distribution mechanism that unique suits that type of content. And, as a filmmaker, you can use it to showcase your skills.

But unless you become the next best thing, I don’t see it is being a career path in digital.

(Meg Carroway) #45

Opinions on how to choose an episode to submit to a web fest, or should people just be submitting pilots?

(Herman Wang) #46

Also look up the Web Series World Cup

(Chris Hadley) #47

Hey George! waves Welcome and thanks so much for taking the time to do this AMA!

Are there any plans to put Seeka on other streaming devices, including Amazon Fire TV?

Also, does the length of a web series factor into your decision to add it to Seeka’s content? Say, if a show runs 5 minutes or less?

(Jaime Lancaster) #48

Thanks so much! Definitely a good tip. Follow up: any advice on how to make it cinematic even with limited locations? And if not cinematic, still in keeping with the story you want to tell just in less places.

(George Reese) #49

Two years ago, the answer was yes. I think the world is rapidly changing. Hollywood is looking to get out of California for monetary reasons, and places like Vancouver have strong demand for professionals in television and film because of this.

Combine this with the fact that content needs to get cheaper to produce and (note my response about locations above) that means not spending gobs of money on location fees, there’s plenty of opportunity outside Hollywood. In the digital world, there’s absolutely no need to be in LA. If you want to make movies today, probably you still are best of in CA. But 2 years from now? I think the answer will be different even for film.

(Chris Hadley) #50

Besides writing, creating and producing your own show, are there any existing web series that you know of who might be looking for writers?

(George Reese) #51

Yeah Season 3 can be the same as new show. But you have to go back and sell the concept.

Reach out to smaller agencies. Tell them what kind of audience you built with your earlier seasons/shows. Agencies own the brand budgets and smaller agencies tend to be more innovative.

On the investor side, we’re largely not there yet. You need to be telling a convincing “I’m going to sell this to Netflix” story.

One thing I haven’t mentioned is government money. Many nations other than the US (Canada and Australia particularly) will help fund a good portion of digital series production, especially if you’ve done this in the past.

(Joseph Steven Heath) #52

Does Seeka only accept already produced shows?

(sam lockie-waring) #53

smaller agencies… like advertising agencies? (sorry man i must sound like an idiot- i’m so out of my depth when it comes to business. thanks again for being here- seriously. we need people like you to help us idiots with cameras hah)

(George Reese) #54

The big thing that makes it special? No bullshit B-plots that you see on cable and in broadcast. You focus on the characters and story arcs that matter, not on filling time to please advertisers.

For those who don’t know what a B-plot is, watch just about any network series. There will be the core “what the episode is about” A-plot and then some worthless B-plot that simply drives gags or gives extra some screen time to one of the principle actors. It does nothing to actually move the series forward. I hate that. And the lack of that element is what I love about the web series.

(Bri Castellini) #55

I so agree! I love how intimate and specific web series can get. Building off of this- what is the most exciting trend in web series these days, in your opinion?

(George Reese) #56

The big difference is that Seeka TV is ultimately about making money for its investors through the vision we have outlined. While my goal with any business I run is to be fair to all stakeholders, it is still a for-profit entity.

The Minnesota WebFest is all about two things to me:

1. Showing off to the world what Minnesota has to offer in television and film
  2. Promoting the web series as a form of art and entertainment

(Bri Castellini) #57

Any local Minnesota series we might not have heard of that you can recommend? :slight_smile:

(George Reese) #58

Right now, I have two short films in the film festival circuit (Reconquista and Therapy for the Unlawful). Both are showing this weekend at the Buffalo/Niagara Film Festival. Therapy for the Unlawful will be screening at the Imagine This Film Festival (my co-producer and the writer is female). I’m also working on a script for two short films and a web series.

In the web series world, to date, I’ve served as executive producer on a bunch of different series “Theater People”, “BLEED”, “Hat Trick Bitches”, and more). The script I’m working on will be the first I’ve directed on my own.

(Meg Carroway) #59

Congratulations!

(George Reese) #60

I missed the actual question, but supplementary content is important for anything these days. From studio feature films to digital web series.

In fact, especially digital series and especially any series that views itself as transmedia.

(Meg Carroway) #61

Original question :slight_smile: