Help With First Press Release

Hello everyone, looking for some help with my first press release for a teaser trailer for a web series I am working on. The teaser is coming out on Wednesday so I am trying to send it off in advance. Could people give me feedback on it? I think it’s missing some information but the head creator asked me to take some info about the show out but I want to see if people think there is enough in it.

First Teaser Trailer for The Sojourn

Kallum Weyman
@ProducerKallum
27/08/18

For release 11 pm BST August 31st

The Sojourn, an upcoming original sci-fi motion comic web series releases its first teaser trailer. The series follows the crew of the Guinevere as they lead an expedition into uncharted space in search of resources for a starving human race. The show’s pilot episode will be released on YouTube by the end of the year.

What is The Sojourn?

The Sojourn is an original sci-fi drama written and created by Daniel Orrett, the host and creator of the popular YouTube channel Spacedock. The 20-minute pilot episode, which has been funded by Spacedock is currently in production and will be out by the end of the year. The release will be accompanied by a Kickstarter to fund a 10-episode run of the show.

The Sojourn follows the crew of The Guinevere, an independently owned warship, captained by Cassandra ‘Cass’ Farren (Larissa Thompson). Captain Farren is joined by Tamara ‘Meds’ Melari (Laura Faye Smith) the ship’s doctor, and Mathias Croft (Ben Prendergast) the ship’s mechanic. The crew must help a war-torn humanity unify in the face of destruction, as people from both sides of the war come together to build a powerful gate device, that will launch them across the intergalactic void in search of salvation. The show focuses on the struggles of this crew and their accompanying fleet as they face adversity and cross new horizons.

Who is Spacedock?

Daniel Orrett, the head writer and creator of the project runs the successful YouTube Channel Spacedock, a 132k subscriber channel that has covered the full spectrum of science fiction for almost three years. Recently the channel has released an officially licenced series called Force Recon in partnership with the authors and showrunners of The Expanse, where Daniel has been able to help shape the canon of the spacecraft shown in the show. The channel is also home to videos exploring and revealing some of the world of the Sojourn. Including a video showing off the initial design of The Guinevere the ship fully revealed in the teaser trailer.

Crew and Cast

The cast for the show has been announced over social media, the lead Cassandra Farren is being played by Larissa Thompson who is the voice of fellow YouTube channel The Templin Institute, she also produced and narrated Centropic Oracle Audiobook Channel, and performed in the web series S.H.A.M. Therapy.

Mathias Croft is being played by Ben Prendergast an Australian tv, film and voice actor. He is best known for his work in Predestination , Frontier , Offspring and Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries , and for his appearances in theatre for the Melbourne Theatre Company, Queensland Theatre, and Red Stitch Actors Theatre, where he is an ensemble member.

Tamara Melari is played by Laura Faye Smith who has voiced Princess Rosalina for the Super Mario Brothers franchise, Kana (male) for the English cast of Fire Emblem Fates. She has also appeared in Grimm and Leverage.

Director Elizabeth Ancelet is being played by Emily Serdahl, a theatre actor based in San Francisco performing in plays such as The Tempest in the role of Ariel and Nina in the Seagull.

Stephan Trafford has also been announced in a yet to be announced role.

The art for the show’s pilot is being created by Leon Wood Ir Vin, edited by Spacedock co-host and editor Alasdair Mccabe, directed and sound mixed by Hayden Emmett-Bird and produced by Kallum Keefe Weyman with assistance from concept artist and Scientific Advisor Gabriel Fonseca.

Links:

The Teaser Trailer:
The Sojourn Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheSojournHQ
Spacedock Official YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjaAUlTZRHJapJmCT6eyIg
Spacedock Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/SpacedockHQ
Leon Wood’s art station: https://www.artstation.com/leonwoon

Any feedback or places to send it would be appreciated thanks.

1 Like

Hey Kallum- can you actually copy/paste the text in this post? The screenshots are a bit hard to read!

There we go. This should be easier to read. Thanks

1 Like

Did you read over the tips from this article?

It’s always been a good first stop for me! Plus it has press people to reach out ta

1 Like

Yeah, I started there. I have seen the list of sites and all the tips and I tried to follow it best I could. I just wanted to put it up here to see if anyone screamed that it was terrible before I send it out.

1 Like

This press release is two pages, right? That would be my first concern- it’s a bit long for a first contact. Some of this might be better for a press kit or media kit after the first contact!

Your “crew and cast” section is also a bit long which might help cut back on the length- I’d keep that bit to a single paragraph with either a link to direct them to for more info or just a simple “Full cast/crew bios available upon request.” Plus, if the names of the shows/projects these folks are associated with are more recognizable than the names of the people, I’d just say something like “our cast and crew includes the voices of actors who have been involved in the TNT television series Leverage, the Super Mario Brothers video game franchise, etc etc etc.” Otherwise, and no offense to what I’m sure is an incredible list of people, their names aren’t particularly interesting to press at this stage.

I would also say you should run this through something like Grammarly because there are a few small grammatical/punctuation issues.

1 Like

Ok I thought that the two-page thing would be a problem. I am planning to triple check the grammar before sending it off. I do need to put together a press kit so I can leave the cast and crew out. Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to pass everything via the creator first since he tends to want to do things his way.

1 Like

Tagging @Pablo and @chelsaat, two real-life people I know with press release knowledge!

1 Like

Update: Here’s what I currently have.

First Teaser Trailer for The Sojourn

Kallum Weyman
@ProducerKallum
27/08/18

For release 11 pm BST August 31st

The Sojourn, an upcoming original sci-fi motion comic web series releases its first teaser trailer. The series follows the crew of the Guinevere as they lead an expedition into uncharted space in search of resources for a starving human race. The show’s pilot episode will be released on YouTube by the end of the year.

What is The Sojourn?

The Sojourn is an original sci-fi drama written and created by Daniel Orrett, the host and creator of the popular YouTube channel Spacedock. The 20-minute pilot episode, which has been funded by Spacedock is currently in production and will be out by the end of the year. The release will be accompanied by a Kickstarter to fund a 10-episode run of the show.

The Sojourn follows the crew of The Guinevere, an independently owned warship, captained by Cassandra ‘Cass’ Farren (Larissa Thompson of The Templin Institute and The Centropic Oracle ) . Captain Farren is joined by Tamara ‘Meds’ Melari (Laura Faye Smith, known for voicing Rosalina in the Mario games). the ship’s doctor, and Mathias Croft (Ben Prendergast of Predestination and Frontier ) the ship’s mechanic.

The crew must help a war-torn humanity unify in the face of destruction, as people from both sides of the war come together to build a powerful gate device, that will launch them across the intergalactic void in search of salvation. The show focuses on the struggles of this crew and their accompanying fleet as they face adversity and cross new horizons.

The show is heavily inspired by works such as James SA Corey’s ‘The Expanse’ as well as the video game series Mass Effect. With a heavy focus on themes of struggle, hope and discovery.

Who is Spacedock?

Daniel Orrett, the head writer and creator of the project runs the successful YouTube Channel Spacedock, a 132k subscriber channel that has covered the full spectrum of science fiction for almost three years. Recently the channel has released an officially licenced series called Force Recon in partnership with the authors and showrunners of The Expanse, where Daniel has been able to help shape the canon of the spacecraft shown in the show. The channel is also home to videos exploring and revealing some of the world of the Sojourn. Including a video showing off the initial design of The Guinevere, the ship fully revealed in the teaser trailer.

Links:

The Teaser Trailer:
The Sojourn Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheSojournHQ
Spacedock Official YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjaAUlTZRHJapJmCT6eyIg
Spacedock Official Twitter: https://twitter.com/SpacedockHQ
Leon Wood’s art station: https://www.artstation.com/leonwoon

There will be pictures that are sent along with it too, A poster and exclusive picture that hasn’t been revealed to anyone yet.

Hi! Looks like you have all the details needed, but did want to make sure you’re using this more as a backgrounder. Blasting press releases rarely gets the job done, you’ll want to send as part of a pitch email to really get attention. A pitch email should be personalized and super short, with the big news up front. Quick template, feel free to put in your own words:

Hi XX,

Thought you might be interested in The Sojourn, an upcoming sci-fi web series that follows the crew of the Guinevere as they lead an expedition into uncharted space in search of resources for a starving human race. It was created by Daniel Orrett, who currently runs the successful YouTube Channel Spacedock, a 132k subscriber channel that covers the full spectrum of science fiction.

Here is a link to the teaser trailer, and more information about the series is in the release below. Because you regularly cover [sci-fi, web series, etc], I thought our series would be perfect for the audience at OUTLET NAME.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
XXX

PASTE PRESS RELEASE HERE

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I will take it on board. I will personalize each email to the outlet. I know there are a few local outlets I will be sending stuff to which is a little different focused more on the fact of the people involved with the project and where it’s being made.

1 Like

Awesome! Local angles are always great.

2 Likes