Hey new people!

(Bri Castellini) #1

Sorry for being MIA this weekend, folks. I was sick. However, I was excited to discover upon logging in this morning that we have a few new friends posting here! Tagging them so they can introduce themselves and so everyone can say hello!

@OddLantern @w-e-spear @Halen_Williamson @RobbieRuviews @RickMcLean @cec263 @floorthirteen

And if you’re new but I haven’t tagged you, chime in below anyways! I’d love to get to know you!

(Sophie Kokott) #2

Hey everyone! My name is Sophie and I run a collaborative production company in Saskatchewan, Canada!
We are about to release our very first episode of our first web series… THIS FRIDAY!
Feeling very excited, but also very nervous for everyone to see what we have been working on! It is called Pieces: Party and follows nine different perspectives of one night!

Check out the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnnygcyDr8
and you can find us on Instagram promo-ing the release at @floorthirteenfilms

Excited to be a part of this community and learn from everyone!

(Bri Castellini) #3

Welcome welcome! Do you have any particular feedback about the site so far, from layout to topics we haven’t covered in the #Film-School category yet?

(Sophie Kokott) #4

I absolutely love the “I hate marketing” thread. Very helpful! As well as how to write a press release, those have seriously helped me!
Trying to keep up to date and read through as many as I can. Have answered all of my questions so far!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #5

Hey there! Welcome to the forum!

(Bri Castellini) #6

So glad! And yes, please do let me know if there is anything else we can write about- nothing is too big or small!

(Olga Markovic) #7

Hey everyone, so I wasn’t tagged, but I joined the community about a month ago. I have been reading some great things on here but have not chipped in yet :slight_smile: .

I am from Sydney Australia. Acting is my background and how I started in the industry (I am also a lawyer).

I started a production company with 2 friends called Little Alchemist Productions and we have filmed the first 2 episodes of a web series called ‘Arty Farty’ with the goal of using them to get some funding. They are now in post. We have 10 episodes written. I have also written the first 2 episodes of a new web series that I want to direct and act in called ‘All for Eve’. We have some other projects written but these 2 web series are the ones I am working on at the moment.

I’m working full time at the moment, so trying to do as much as I can outside of work hours.

This forum has been a great resource for me so far!.

Would love to get to know others too.

Olga

(Bri Castellini) #8

Welcome, Olga! Same question that I asked Sophie- Do you have any particular feedback about the site so far, from layout to topics we haven’t covered in the #Film-School category yet?

(Marc L) #9

Welcome, Olga and @floorthirteen!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #10

Welcome to the forum and glad it can be of help!

(Olga Markovic) #11

Thanks Bri. I am loving the film school category and am getting through a fair few of the articles in there. All have been great. I love the one about scheduling. As I go through I will let you know about topics I may be looking for, but for now, am learning so much. Thanks!

(Melanie Chiro) #12

Hey everyone. I’m Melanie and I’m a few months away from showing my web series, “The History People” to the world. It’s a story that takes place in an alternate world where a strange group of scientists have stolen the bodies of famous figures from world history. Would go into more, but I do want to have some surprises. I really enjoyed making it. Making a web series I find is almost like making a bite sized television show where each episode is 5 minutes instead of 45 to 60. I honestly think might be the right way to go for first time filmmakers because it’s a lot easier to ask a stranger to sit down for five minutes and watch an episode of a web series than to sit down and watch a two hour long film. Found this site when I was considering applying to the Toronto web series festival and I’m so happy to see that there is a whole website dedicated to people who make web series. Even though web series have been around for a while, they still feel like a new avenue of entertainment in the same way virtual reality is a new way to entertain people.

(Bri Castellini) #13

Welcome, Melanie!! Same question as I asked Olga and Sophie :wink: … any feedback for us so far, from layout to topics we haven’t covered in the #Film-School category yet?

(William E. Spear) #14

Sophie - Congratulations and best wishes for success.

(Bri Castellini) #15

Welcome, William! Care to introduce yourself? :slight_smile:

(William E. Spear) #16

Thanks, Bri. Twenty years ago I wrote radio drama and transitioned into theatre. About seven tears ago I started writing feature length films. A script was accepted recently into a festivel in upstate New York later this year. However, I’ve always had stories that weren’t a full-length play or feature script. The webseries may be a length, with adaptations for the format, that works for the scripts that don’t have an easy fit. Also, since writing for radio, most actors that auditioned were females and I’ve made a conscious decision to write roles for those performers. My current project has six female characters and no males. Thanks for asking.

(Bri Castellini) #17

Well welcome to the party, friend! Any feedback for Stareable so far, from layout of the website to topics we haven’t covered in the #Film-School category yet?

(Melanie Chiro) #18

I think it would be interesting to explore more out of the box style promotion methods. People talk a lot about using Twitter and Facebook but it would be nice to hear of other outlets that could potentially be used as well. Also, as a person who loves scifi and fantasy it would cool to hear about low tech ways to do special effects for those who might be interested in that kind of thing.

(Bri Castellini) #19

For low tech special effects, check out @hermdelica’s VFX 101 articles! Example below:

VFX 101: Making Your Actors Disappear

Promotion methods other than social media:

(Bri Castellini) #20

Let me know if there’s anything missing in there that we can expand on!