How do I "define my audience"?

(Hailey Harper) #1

So I keep seeing all this advice everywhere about how if you want to promote your work well, you have to define your audience and find where they live and I’m sitting here like… how??

Is there like a worksheet or quiz where I can answer some questions about an upcoming project I have and that’ll tell me what my demographic is? And then I can pay Facebook some money to get in front of them? Or… what?

(Jonathan Hardesty) #2

My show Flagon is based on JRPGs and as such my audience is people who love and play video games. Tangentially, my audience is also tabletop gamers, nerds, geeks, and people interested in animation/animated content. I have an audience of voice actors and local actors, so they fit in there somewhere. And personally, I want everyone to watch my show.

But, in terms of the “define the audience” / “find your audience” advice, I want the type of fans that Critical Role has, the type of community they’ve built. It’s those more passionate fans (probably with more of a gaming slant) that I would be targeting specifically.

So I would just recommend breaking your hopeful audience(s) down into those chunks and just finding the core group of people you would be fine with spending money to target ads toward.

As for how to engage them, well. ** shrug **

(Bri Castellini) #3

Thoughts on defining your audience from a thread the other day:

You might even just start by thinking about what audience YOU are. What’s your age, education level, preferred social media, and general cultural interests? I found that helped me when figuring out my initial audience for my first series- late high school-college women who like feminism, sci-fi, and smart comedy. Also women who had lower budget interests (so usually not film buffs, but TV and web series fans and fans of simple production value YouTubers)

I’m certainly no expert in this, but one thing I would recommend is, post-following-Jon’s-other-advice, thinking long and hard about where those audiences tend to hang out. Are they on Facebook or Twitter or Tumblr or Reddit or some combination therein? Find their hangout pockets and then focus your efforts there instead of elsewhere. Actually legitimately join those communities, posting about things related to their interests that aren’t necesarilly your show in particular, that kind of thing.

(Bri Castellini) #4

@Alex_LeMay @Monica_West @Craia9 @kt.mcbratney

(Kt McBratney) #5

@movieguyjon this is something we talk and do A TON at Seed&Spark…so much so that we put together a free guide to it that you can download here. It’s also got steps you can take right now to help define your audience and start figuring out the best messaging to engage them once you know who they are. https://learn.seedandspark.com/audience-building/

One big thing to do from the start is consider who is watching stories like this OR would if they existed (like the thing YOU’RE making!). What else do they watch/like/do? Where do they find out about shows like this and where do they tell their friends?

Hope this gets you started!