How do you find creative partners?

(Pia) #1

I’m mostly a writer but want to make it into the actual making of things eventually but I’m not someone who is comfy doing that all on my own… how do you find people who will not just help you out but be like your creative partner? Eqally invested in the project that you make? Willing to do the work with you without you always having to assign them things? I just want one person at LEAST who feels like they want to be there and are making an effort without me having to always insist on things to get anything done

(Bri Castellini) #2

@JamesBrentIsaacs @omarnajam, any thoughts?

Also @Sandwich_Fam and anyone else with a creative partner!

(Meg Carroway) #3

You should look at Bri’s article from Monday about asking for help… maybe that checklist will be useful here too!

http://community.stareable.com/t/how-to-ask-for-help-in-6-easy-steps/?source_topic_id=3986

(Jonathan Kaplan) #4

Be involved in other creative outlets beyond just making a web series. I met Marianne because we were both performing in the comedy scene in New York City. I hosted a show for a few years and she would come to perform in it often so we became better friends and eventually started working together. Try things, join things, and be open to possibilities outside of your realm of thinking.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #5

This is on my list of article topics for the future! Stay tuned!

(Sandwich Fam) #6

Hi @Pia_0.0,

Our best advice is to volunteer for other web series or short film productions and start meeting lots of people while helping out on set. You will get a good sense of someone’s work ethic and ability to contribute creatively — set behavior does not lie :wink:

For us, we had both acted in and helped out with the production of our individual short films before deciding to make a web series together — we knew exactly what to expect from each other.

@jonathankyall is also right: it’s WAY more fun to partner with a friend than someone who’s only valuable because they complement your skillset. Making something together is gruelling and you have to like the person to survive. We’ve seen series die after 1 episode because the two co-showrunners had a falling out during filming!

Build trusting relationships first, then try to make something together. Test the working relationship out by making a quick short before committing to a whole series. Hopefully you will create something great!

Good luck!

John & Lena

(Pia) #7

How did you know you guys would be good partners? I make friends who I think are talented all the time but not many are actually great collaborators

(Jonathan Kaplan) #8

We knew of eachother for years before we were friends. We had a couple mutual directors we both worked with separately. We both were very involved in our own independent creative worlds. When I started hosting my show in 2014 we reconnected cuz she always came and performed. We liked eachothers live comedy a lot and got together to improvise and jam ideas at rehearsal spaces. After a few times, we enjoyed playing together and the result was I helped her write jokes for her solo show. We tried to get a few projects off the ground after but they didn’t take off. At first we were learning how to work together, and our early ideas were too large in scope, not to mention finding a common ground in communicating and all the things you learn when working with someone new. But we always enjoyed eachothers comic sense and work ethic, and officially started writing what would become Killing it! in Jan 2016- about 2 years after we reconnected at my shows.

(Pia) #9

How did you guys do this? I think that’s where my hopeful partnerships always fall apart… :confused:

(Jonathan Kaplan) #10

There’s no rule or formula. We work together and stay together because we both enjoy eachothers creativity so much and are excited to make our best work. We really think of our partnership like a band. If you want to work with people and be better at that, join projects and build your body of work. I’ve been in many projects over the years. Actual bands, indie plays, Improv comedy groups and duos, and I’ve also worked as an art teacher and in creative agencies professionally where I learned about working with people and my own flaws. Not all of the projects you start will work but if you keep going and keep evolving, you’ll get where you want to be. And all of the artists here struggle with every aspect of the creative process, so know that everything will always have its peaks and valleys.

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #11

Hi @Pia_0.0! My collaboration article is up on the site now if you want to check it out. If you have any questions let me know. :slight_smile:

(Pia) #12

Thank you!! This is so helpful!