How long do you promote work that's done?

(Bri Castellini) #1

Hey all! Question- how long do you continue promoting a series (or a film or a short) after you’re done? Does that change if it’s done because the story is over versus it’s done because you’re out of money/resources? Does the type of promotion change after a certain point? What’s the goal? Any/all thoughts here appreciated!

(Herman Wang) #2

The Spell Tutor is completely wrapped and I think I’ll actively promote for another year or so (mostly because it’s still going to be active in the festival circuit), after which I’ll gear down to a more passive level and concentrate on my newer project.

(Alex Barbag) #3

Until my next episode comes out which is about every 5 weeks. But I don’t like to promote too much because I don’t want to be annoying but I’m pretty sure that’s a bad mindset.

(Ian David Diaz) #4

In today’s low budget filmmakers world social media is the only free route for us, you have to try and do everything you can to get the word out there, no one, no creative filmmaker should be concerned with annoying anyone with their promotions or people who react negatively towards what you put out there. Me personally anytime I get the chance I will promote. On one site one person complained that I was posting too much and I got abuse from some people, the key here is not to respond but to carry on posting and believing in your product. Some people think it’ll do you harm if people complain but out of the 5 people that’ll hurl abuse one of them will watch an Episode of your series. My web series Rebecca Gold has only 5 Eps so it finished it’s run at the end of last year and I’m still promoting and because of my posting, I’m getting people subbing and discovering Rebecca’s world. Now it’s winning awards and a few people that hurl abuse at me in the past, (because I kept a note of their names), are now asking for my friendship on Facebook, they probably think that I’d forgotten what they had said about my bite-size web series, Isn’t life funny. Remember what Eliot Ness repeatedly shouted at Capone: “Never stop fighting till the fight is done.” I’ll stop when my web series is done not until then. :slight_smile:

(Deb Ethier) #5

I understand your reasoning, but at the same time I know that super-saturating an audience causes many of them to tune out or actively avoid the input; not sure if that’s worth the number you may attract. I’m not saying not to believe in your creation or not to promote, but I also think it should be in balance…and, of course, this is just my two cents (Canadian cents, so worth considerably less :slightly_smiling_face:).

(Ian David Diaz) #6

I love Canadians, I work in Toronto every year and have many friends there, I’m from the UK - there’s one thing I do know, I know I don’t know everything so you may be right.