How much should I charge for crowdfunding perks?

(Jane) #1

Hi guys. I’m starting a crowdfunding campaign soon, or HOPEFULLY I will be starting a crowdfunding campaign soon, and I was wondering about how to price different incentives or perks or whatever they’re called. We’re charging $5 for a social media shout out, if that helps anything.

If you were me, making a first time crowdfunding page for a first time show, what would you charge for these?

• scripts
  • early access to episodes
  • behind the scenes content
  • posters
  • postcards

Also… am I missing any “classic” perks? Thanks for your help, in advance!!!

Crowdfunding perks?
(Bri Castellini) #2

Referring this to @Sarah_Hawkins who is starting a new venture related to this, and also @chelsaat @chelsxalana @HackettKate and @Monica_West who have all had success in crowdfunding before!

(Bob DeRosa) #3

If I can make one suggestion, it’s to come up with a perk that is unique to your show. Our show “20 Seconds To Live” just successfully raised funds for our second season and our most popular perk (at $25) was a personalized death certificate that includes a ridiculous cause of death. Dark, yes, but our show is funny and someone dies every episode so this perk fit thematically with our show and fit our audience’s sense of humor.

(Meg Carroway) #4

You should charge $10 for a social media shout out- $10 is still a low enough amount that people will donate while still feeling good about how much they gave, but also you can charge more for the easiest perk.

I wouldn’t sell posters. The difficulty with printing and shipping and all of that is sooooo not worth it. You can sell posters later. Or sell like computer wallpapers or something. But physical posters are a PAIN.

(Bri Castellini) #5

We did something similar for Brains! It’s a zombie apocalypse show so we wrote epic zombie-themed obituaries for $30 each. They were insane and detailed and did really well. Good suggestion, Bob! Personalisation is always the best thing to offer. Also it helps build your brand.

(Jane) #6

Do you have a link to your crowdfunding page? Like an archive or something? Would lovee to see how you structured it!

(Jane) #7

that makes sense! I was worried that $10 would be too much lol

(Meg Carroway) #8

It’s important to remember that you aren’t being, like, subtle. People know you’re trying to make money, so they understand. $10 is reasonable. Charging $100 for a tweet would be too much, obviously, but whenever you’re pricing things, price up by about $5-20 from what you think is the minimum you would charge.

(sam lockie-waring) #9

i dunno about the other ones but you should make sure to have a $1 or $5 thank you perk, where they get nothing but still feel like they’re helping, which they are.

(Jane) #10

That makes sense!! (but is your caps lock key broken?)

(sam lockie-waring) #11

it is an artistic choice

(Jane) #12

lol ok

(Bob DeRosa) #13

Here’s the link: https://igg.me/at/20stl

(Jane) #14

Thanks! Wow, you guys had a lot of physical perks… I know most people advise against that. What was your experience with that?

(Bob DeRosa) #15

Ha, we’re still working on it. Ask me in a month. I’ve heard the same as far as not offering physical perks. We chose 3, which felt like the right balance.

(Jason) #16

I successfully funded season 2 of my show and the biggest headache with perks were things that required manufacturing by a third party (t-shirts, postcards, etc.) so I would say maybe try to pare down those as a first timer (like I was) unless you have a lot of help. As far as price points I would say to not be afraid to go a little higher than you might think. Like Meg said maybe $5-20 more than your minimum. I learned that generally speaking if somebody is willing to fund your project they are ok with donating a decent amount. I went in assuming our average pledge would be like $5-10 but it ended up being more like $30-50. For scripts, access to eps, BTS stuff I would go relatively low as there’s no overhead for you (unless you are sending physical copies of the script, which I did and was an unexpected pain in the ass, stick to PDFs if you can). There are definitely folks less invested who are looking to just pledge $1-$5 so having something for them is important. Good luck!

(Jane) #17

This is great, thank you so much!! I was also assuming my main contribution numbers would be like $5-10, but good to know! What is something I could charge more $$ for that still isn’t super high overhead? I talked to one woman who wanted to charge like $100 for behind the scenes content, which seemed like a lot.

(Jason) #18

Good question. $100 for BTS stuff does seem steep to me but I guess it depends on what it is. If the BTS stuff is tailor made for somebody, like a specific shout out or something that’s one thing but that could get really overwhelming depending on response. I know with one project I pledged to they offered Twitter follows by some of their cast, some of whom we’re relatively well known (at least to comedy/sketch nerds, like UCB folks with 20,000+ followers, etc.) but obviously not everybody can do something like that. For our Kickstarter we offered being in the credits as a “Special Thanks” to anybody who donated over like $150 which was very easy to do (just add a shitload of names to your credits!) and worked surprisingly well. People like seeing their name at the end of each episode, who knew?

(Kate Hackett) #19

My audience must’ve been different then, because perks MATTERED.

scripts – digital only. $25+
early access to episodes – digital only. $50-75+
behind the scenes content – digital only. $100+
posters - NO.
postcards - NO.

Seriously, anything physical is a huge no - it’s so much work and time and effort to get things out to hundreds of people. I said no to postcards, but that’s the ONLY possible exception. And make it cost more than you think it should.

Pimp your cast out if you can, AIM LOW, and don’t worry too much about giving a ton of “perks” out. Pick like 5-8 things and that’s it. Have a $5 tier, 10, 25, 75, 150.

(Kate Hackett) #20

It’s not.

At all.

BTS is hours and hours and hours of work.