How To Sell Your Web Series Without An Agent

(Alex Le May) #1

So, as some of you may know, I was on a couple of panels at this year’s STAREBLE FEST, and so many of you asked me this question. “I don’t have an agent, I don’t live in NYC or LA, I feel like I’m on the outside looking in. How in the hell do I sell my web series”? So, I set out to give you the best answer I can by creating a guide of sorts that you can download. It ain’t a design masterpiece, but it includes everything I know about how to solve this problem.

Anyway, my career has been good to me over the past decade, but it wasn’t always that way. My early career was filled with being broke, running from my landlord and eating those 50 cent ramen packets. Once I did start getting work, I wasn’t making the work I wanted to be known for. It was a ton of pointing a camera at CEO’s heads talking about phosphorous prices. I was trapped in a cycle of never ending gig-work and was completely dissatisfied.

I only ever wanted to make my own projects, tell original stories and get paid to do it full time. But the reality was that my world was 6 blocks long. Every day was going to a day job I hated, going home and repeating the same thing day in and day out.

I was working with people that didn’t have my best interests at heart, I had no time or money to make my own projects anyway. Even when I did, I didn’t know anyone who would buy them, so I was stuck in a life of work I never intended to make, working with people I didn’t choose to work with.

It was like I was living someone else’s life. Certainly not the one I chose for myself.

And if it wasn’t for the advice of a good friend and mentor, I could very well STILL be there. He showed me a chink in the armor of how studios and brands bought content and from that moment on my life changed.

Fast forward a couple of months and I finally sold my first web series … for $100k. Soon, I began selling more and more content, all without an agent, without being ‘famous’ and without being an internet superstar.

Just over the past few years I’ve sold millions of dollars worth of web series content to studios like YouTube Red, Maker, Go90 and brands like Verizon, Toyota and Starbucks.

Today I work with people who inspire me, I have time and resources to create my projects the right way. I travel the world, I work on projects I choose, I have people who will buy my stuff and distributors who will get audiences to see it.

Simply, I’m busy making the content I’ve always wanted to be known for. Again, all without an agent or the need for time consuming and often fruitless tasks like building a huge social following.

Now before you think I’m floating on a giant, inflatable swan in an infinity pool while Jeeves serves me mangos, I still have to work my ass off, but I’m not scared all the time, wondering if any of this is worth it.

Because it IS hard and because so many of you asked me this question at STAREABLE FEST this year, I put together a handy guide for my Stareable brothers and sisters that will helpfully smooth the path. Click this link… Like, don’t NOT click the link… cuz this s#%t works.

Download Link: http://bit.ly/2ZzpuIf

Hope it helps. Would love to hear from any of you after you’ve had a chance to check it out. Leave a comment and I promise I’ll get back to you.

…And, as always, keep creating!

***Alex LeMay is a Showrunner and Director from Los Angeles, California. He creates and produces web series’ for Sony Studios, YouTube Red, Maker, Go90, Air + Style and more. In addition, he is the founder of alexlemay.com 1 , a coaching and consulting business that helps working filmmakers build high-earning content businesses.

2 Likes