Jonathan Robbins (Clutch, Asset, Out With Dad)

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #63

When you mentioned having to cart your audience from 1 web series to the next, what did that involve?

(Hailey Harper) #64

Thanks! That helps a lot actually!

(Jonathan Robbins) #65

Lots and lots of tweets, mailing to people that had joined my mailing list. Ultimately I had lost a lot of the audience. If instead of @clutchtheseries, everything had always been coming from @TheJRobbins, it would be much easier to make sure people are able to keep up with what I’ve got going on. At a certain point, half a dozen project accounts get tedious to manage as well.

(Chris Hadley) #66

Any specific movies/TV shows/web series you’d recommend studying for writing/filmmaking techniques? I’d love to increase my knowledge of those.

(Bri Castellini) #67

In this vein, would you suggest coming up with a production company (even if in name only) for all your projects to centralize the audience, and just add new shows to the existing social media/video streaming accounts?

(Jonathan Robbins) #68

Good one! Yes, I created a bunch of postcards with characters on them and info on the back, like trading cards. I spread them out over different festivals, so they’d be fresh images at each one. I also sold them as packages at comicons for 2 bucks and we sold quite a few.
Most importantly, have someone there. The more involved with the other people at the fest you are, the more you’ll get from it and people will know your stuff and then cross promote it.

(Blair Hunter) #69

That’s cool. How did you get into cons? Especially ComiCons!

(Jonathan Robbins) #70

Sorry Chris, finally getting to one of your questions!
I really like Starting From Now, that one is very well done. I think the best answer is to say look at lists of stuff that’s been in other festivals and track that work down. Because they’re successfully doing what you want to do, so they’re worth looking at.

(Chris Hadley) #71

Awesome, Jonathan. Will take a look. Thanks!

(Jonathan Robbins) #72

Most of them you can apply as an artist to get a discounted booth/table. I had great experiences at Calgary Expo for price/value.

(Jonathan Robbins) #73

Go out for as much stuff as you can. Know that 1 in 5 student films will probably net something useable, and that’s just how it is. Ideally, get a little cash together and shoot a scene specifically for your reel!

(Marc L) #74

I recently asked this community about if filming scenes for your reel was alright- good to hear they all said the same thing as you. What kinds of editing techniques are best for reels? A series of uninterrupted scenes? Fast cuts?

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #75

What do you think is in store for the web series medium in the future? Is it getting bigger and more popular than the short film medium?

(Jonathan Robbins) #76

Yes, if its one that will encompass everything you do, and is not too hard to remember. Avoid clever spellings and words. A guy named Jeff Hammond who makes comedy uses HammondCheese, for example which does work. But a Ceeenema4U is not gonna cut it.

(Bri Castellini) #77

Signal boosting some of the older highlighted questions :slight_smile:

(Bri Castellini) #78

Signal boost!

(Jonathan Robbins) #79

Don’t do more than you need to. If you have a 5 person crew, you really don’t need elaborate call sheets. But do have one person dedicated to being in charge of release forms and things like that, so you don’t have to think about it.

(Bri Castellini) #80

Signal boost!

(Jonathan Robbins) #81

I don’t think duration is as big a deal as it used to be. But definitely Vimeo is viewed as a longer watch platform. More than that, I’d suggest cutting short pieces that you can use as teasers to get people to invest in the longer watch.

(Jonathan Robbins) #82

I was so tempted to just write “no”.
I think you have to recognize that web series are what short films used to be, for the most part. But… if you can grow a loyal audience, that audience will pay to support what you’re doing. Everyone on Out With Dad got fair indie wages in the last season of Out With Dad and it was supported by people on Patreon. Not a living, but if in theory that increased tenfold, it would be.