Jonathan Robbins (Clutch, Asset, Out With Dad)

(Jonathan Robbins) #83

Uninterrupted scenes for sure, but trimmed down to be about the acting, not the overall story.

(Chris Hadley) #84

Speaking of Patreon, I have considered doing a campaign for my show. Any tips on how to best organize such a campaign, from your experience on Out With Dad?

(Jonathan Robbins) #85

Yes. The number of submissions to festivals has increased. The number of people who know what a web series is has increased. The number of people who have had their careers launched by web series has increased. I think that will only continue further. But the standards will also.

(Bri Castellini) #86

Alright folks, that about does it for today! Huge big thanks to @TheJRobbins for being here! If he has a chance, he’s welcome to stick around or check back in later for the straggler questions.

In the meantime, check out his shows, and don’t forget- HollyWeb is currently accepting submissions!

(Jonathan Robbins) #87

It’s difficult to find an audience with Patreon. So I’d say build the audience first, then give them additional benefits if they support you on Patreon. For example, Out With Dad patrons get early access to episodes (4 months early for the final season in fact, which goes live over the next couple of months to the public).

(Jonathan Robbins) #88

thank you everyone! I’ll try to go add to anything I missed!

(Jaime Lancaster) #89

Thank you, @TheJRobbins!

(Chris Hadley) #90

Thanks so much @TheJRobbins for answering our questions! Really appreciate it! Wishing you all the best with this year’s Hollyweb Festival and Out With Dad!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #91

Thanks so much! @TheJRobbins :smiley:

(Herman Wang) #92

What is the LA community like compared to Toronto?

(Jonathan Robbins) #93

I had made a short film called Your Ex-Lover is Dead. It made the festival rounds, and then… well, then what? I didn’t feel like I was done working with those characters, and it was suggested to me (by my acting agent) that I should make it a series. I made the first 2 episodes to see how it would go. And then I fell in love with the medium.

(Jonathan Robbins) #94

Harder to find, but it’s here. It’s just LA is so big, that people are spread out. So you need to make a bigger effort to join people. The IAWTV have a good writing group and a producing group that meets every month. That’s where I know most of my LA community from. (And they’d love to see that happen in other cities as well, but right now the support to do so is in LA)

(Jonathan Robbins) #95

Absolutely. If you are able to get an indie brand involved, that can provide you something. For example, when O.N.E. coconut water was starting out, they were known to support indie productions. My co-producer Susan Bernhardt (who I met through web festivals and asked to help produce an LA episode of Clutch) approached them, and they gave us a few crates for free. A few things like that, and you could create grab bags as well as have more luxury catering. Perhaps get a local restaurant to sponsor a meal on set?

(Jonathan Robbins) #96

You’re selling them on the idea that people will see their brand. You don’t have an audience yet, but you will. So just focus on the show you’re putting out there and who you’re targeting with it, and then approach brands that would be trying to reach those same people. It’s mutually beneficial.

(Jonathan Robbins) #97

Yes, I think the most common reason I’ve seen web series fail is that they write a script which is really a film, or a tv pilot. If you’re writing 10 episodes, then write TEN episodes, not just tiny pieces of a bigger one. That isn’t to say they can’t be serialized, but they need to have merit of their own in each episode.

(James Peniata) #98

Do you feel there is a future for action or fantasy web series?

(Jonathan Robbins) #99

Yes, I certainly do.i think there is a future for any web series that tells a story in a way that hasn’t been told before. That said, I think the bar for effects and overall production value will continue to go up. So it could become difficult genre to break in with.

(Larry Ziegelman) #100

Hi Jonathan!
I’m a filmmaker that has made numerous successful short films play the festival circuit. I’ve recently created a web series and started entering festivals. Sadly, it has gotten roundly rejected. I’m totally confused and depressed from it. Mostly, because I believe I’ve got a good barometer to these things, but lately it’s not working! With all that, a couple of questions:

1. If a web fest might like one of the 3 episodes you enter, would they ever contact the filmmaker for possibly different episodes?

2. Is it worth it to try to enter different episodes, that might be funnier, or shorter or better to the same festivals the following year?

3. Do you recommend that the filmmaker put their series online before/during/after the festival circuit?

Thank you so much for your time and expertise!

(Herman Wang) #101

In case Jonathan doesn’t answer, I hope you don’t mind my opinion:

1. I highly doubt it. My understanding is that they’re swamped watching all the entries that were submitted without fishing for more.
  2. I would definitely submit different episodes each time. If you enter something they rejected before, chances are they’ll reject it again. With ours, subsequent episodes got better as we found our rhythm, so if that’s the same for you, it’s worth it to submit the latest material. Looking at previous years’ Official Selections will give you a feel of what the festival tends to like.
  3. I’ve found web series-only festivals are much less picky about premiere status than regular festivals; they recognize that the whole point of web series is to put it online. It’s not like with features.

(Jonathan Kaplan) #102

On a side note hell yea Im a big Stars fan!!!