Kt McBratney, Seed&Spark's head of marketing: AMA!

(Kt McBratney) #1

Hey all!

I’m Kt McBratney, head of marketing at Seed&Spark. Started by filmmakers for filmmakers, Seed&Spark has the highest crowdfunding success rate in the world (yep, the world) and the only streaming subscription that supports original new voices while making entertainment more inclusive.

I have more than a decade of experience in branding, marketing and communications, working with Fortune 100 companies, startups and everything in between. My sweet spot? Helping YOU tell your brand story effectively and efficiently to hit your goals (and go beyond).

What can you ask me about? Anything related to branding, marketing, social media, PR to get your brand heard in the sea of marketing noise. Also, cheeseburgers. I’m a big fan of cheeseburgers.

We've got an AMA for that!
(Bri Castellini) #2

Thanks for being here today, Kt! First up: What’s your background in film? How did you end up working with Seed and Spark?

(Meg Carroway) #3

Hi Kt! What are the most glaring mistakes newbie marketers make?

(Joseph Steven Heath) #4

How do you market yourself without feeling like you’re being annoying?

Also, where’s your favorite place to get a cheeseburger? (If you’re ever in Chattanooga, TN, I highly recommend Tremont Tavern.)

(Kt McBratney) #5

Thanks Bri, excited to be here!

I’m one of the only members of Seed&Spark who isn’t a filmmaker…but I’ve been a film lover my whole life, even penning a feature screenplay when I was 18 (it was TERRIBLE, trust me). I’ve always been a writer, and being able to work in the arts in any way has always been part of my plan.

After spending (too long!) in the agency and corporate world, I dove into startups. I actually was following our CEO and founder Emily Best on Twitter when she posted they were looking for a head of marketing who didn’t want to leave their humanity at the door when they came to work. I applied that day (pitching a slightly different version of the role), and the rest is history!

(Jonathan Hardesty) #6

Thanks for coming to talk with us!

Social media has become a very challenging and time consuming beast to tackle with any given project, and as of today there’s just too much noise that people have to sift through to find and connect with content. How are you approaching these changes and working around FB and Twitter and Instagram doing all they can to minimize what their users see?

As an aside to that question: the average webseries creator will more than likely not have much time or budget to even spend the RIGHT amount of time tackling social media and keep up with its trends. How can they get the edge?

(Bri Castellini) #7

Can you expand on this, and on negotiating your own role in general? I think it could speak to a lot of things filmmakers end up negotiating on various sets

(Kt McBratney) #8

I LOVE THIS QUESTION!

First of all, even marketers with TONS of experience are newbies in some area. Marketing is massive, and with new platforms popping up seemingly daily, no one person knows it all.

In my experience, one of the biggest early mistakes is not clearly knowing your goal. If you don’t know what you’re aiming for (press coverage, traffic to your site, video views), you’re bound to miss the target.

(Meg Carroway) #9

Are press coverage/video views not two parts of the same goal? Oh man cuz I kind of want all three of those things haha

(Jaime Lancaster) #10

Hi!! Thanks so much for being here! Do you think there’s a difference between marketing for a business versus an artistic project? What would that be?

(Kt McBratney) #11

Absolutely! The job description was fairly broad, and it read for someone more junior than I was. I was familiar with Seed&Spark as a brand, and I did more research that day into where they were and wanted to go and realized 1) this was a company and a team I wanted to be work with and 2) what they needed was something more authentic than the “growth hacker” that I felt they might attract.

My email to them explained what I was, what I wasn’t and why that would benefit them. I approached it with respect for the company and the leadership, but also respectfully honest based on my 12 years in the field with real recommendations. At the end of the day, if they had decided they needed someone who wasn’t me to be their best, I respected that.

But I think I made a pretty damn good case :slight_smile:

(Resistancenotfutile) #12

Not exactly a marketing question, but this is also AMAnything. I see that subscribers have the options of AppleTV and Roku. Any chances we’ll see a Chromecast-compatible option in the future? Straight-up Android app, perhaps?

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #13

A pleasure to have you here!
I am one of the many people disappointed with Facebook, which is supposed to be the great place inside the internet to show my creations. Now that this company is experimenting with the news feed adversely affecting the Fan Pages my question is: Is the Blog again a powerful marketing tool to connect with the public of my web series?

(Kt McBratney) #14

Great question! If only we could freeze time to get to ALL the people on ALL the social platforms…

My approach, as someone who works with limited resources (sound familiar to you, filmmakers?) is to focus on where your audience IS. Rather than fighting with the algorithms and losing time to new platforms, I find where our people are, see what they’re doing and deliver valuable content in that way. If the horse is already to water, don’t try to lead it to a new trough :slight_smile:

Honestly, using the platforms as a user AND a marketer is helpful too. That way, you know what the experience is like on both sides (and what is a bad experience).

(Anna Bateman) #15

How would you define your marketing strategy/outlook? How do you approach it, I guess is my main question.

(Kt McBratney) #16

We all want them all, right?!?

Throwing some marketing jargon out, so please bear with me (I know, right?!): when persuading someone to do something, think of a funnel. For example, if you want someone to watch your series, you need to start at the top of the funnel, where it’s more broad: letting people know your series exists!

That’s where PR can help: generating awareness and helping people consider your series in the first place!

From there, you work people through the funnel, ultimately with a narrow focus and next step of that sweet, sweet video view.

So they are related, but not the same. Don’t make the mistake of trying to force people to do ALL the things at the same time. Humans aren’t good at working that way

(Bri Castellini) #17

I think this one got lost in the shuffle :slight_smile: Signal boost!

(Kt McBratney) #18

Oh, good one!

Yes and no.

No, in the sense that the approach of knowing your objectives, finding your audience, establishing consistent messaging, etc applies 1000% to both. It’s like making a comedy vs a drama: you still need pre-production, have a budget, go through casting, need locations, etc even though the subject matter is wildly different.

Yes, in the sense that creative endeavors can be a lot more fun! (In my opinion, at least.) Marketing and promoting artistic projects benefit from the personal aspect: knowing WHY you made it, WHY it matters, WHO will care. That’s a huge advantage that you don’t get marketing, say, fancy shoelaces. And because it’s often YOUR creative output, it’s an extension of your personal brand (ugh, I hate that term but it works here).

(Kt McBratney) #19

Going off book, I dig it!

We’re currently looking at where to hit next in the OTT world. Chromecast is up there…would love to know what devices our creator community is eager to watch Seed&Spark on and pass that along!!

What do you watch on the most?

(Hailey Buck) #20

Hi! I was wondering if you had any resources for marketing basics for newbies?