- Series title: Kissing in the Rain
- Created by: Yulin Kuang (Shipwrecked Comedy)
- Starring: Mary Kate Wiles, Sean Persaud, Sinead Persaud, & Sairus Graham
- Elevator pitch: Two actors find themselves continually thrown together in project after project where the end result is always the Hollywood-favorite shot of kissing in the rain.
- Features: Various callbacks to classic couples, hate-turned-love, actors acting as actors, great score, 100% shippable main couple, additional transmedia, period costumes, fantastic writing
There are layers within layers of this delightful little webseries. Tragically only twelve episodes long, Kissing in the Rain maintains a beautiful amount of depth. Each episode is accompanied by a short written character drabble by the creator, Yulin Kuang. However, Kuang also wanted to incorporate all the online work of fans, so everything reposted by Shipwrecked Comedy automatically becomes a part of a body of community-written canonical companion work. This brings fans into the world and builds it into something bigger and better.
James and Lily are two actors who keep getting cast as couples, and their acting ability is remarkable since they really hate each other off-screen. They bring to favorites like James Potter/Lily Evans and Anne Shirley/Gilbert Blythe as well as ones in a variety of eras (i.e. 1950s, early 1800s). Not only is the audience invested in the characters they are portraying, but you also can’t wait to watch the development of the relationship between the actors. The build up to the moment of the kiss and the flat fall back into reality cleverly plays on Hollywood tropes, and creates a comedy within a drama.
Fans of A Tell Tale Vlog will recognize Sean Persaud reprising his role as Edgar Allan Poe and Sinead Persaud as Lenore. In addition to James and Lily, Sinead and Sairus Graham play Audrey and Henry. These two bring to life couples such as Anne Elliot/Frederick Wenworth and Jay Gatsby/Daisy Buchanan. These two actors are not quite as frosty as the previous couple, but are still strangers having to learn about the other between shots of them kissing each other.
If you are looking for a short and sweet webseries featuring some of the best couples books have to offer, definitely check this one out!