Paula Rhodes: Actor, Producer, Mom, Founding Member of the 5'2" & Under Club!

(Jaime Lancaster) #41

Have you ever helped long-distance produce something (or worked with a long distance/remote producer)? How does that work?

(William E. Spear) #42

Paula - Thanks for sharing your experiences. Can you expand on your life-balance efforts and results? Best of luck with everything.

(Paula Rhodes) #43

Hmmmm, some said it would. I still feel like me. I still find the part of me that is a storyteller to be important. Now, if it came down to going to an award show or even a big aud or going to get my kid if they fell and had to go to the doctor, well, life has to be more important. But that was always my mantra. I just have more “life” to squeeze in. I will say I am sent out on more “mom” rolls since babies. And that is always an initial shock to the vanity in actor’s (esp women’s) careers I think - our vainity egos take a hit, but then we realize it’s just leveling up. In general, tho there are fewer roles for women over 30 (tho I like seeing that change!) the roles are more interesting than vapid sexpots. So, yes, there have been changes, but I like them. It also spurs me on to create more roles for women. And to cheer on those, like yourself, who create them too!

(Paula Rhodes) #44

I hear ya. It can be a gut-punch to realize that to the actors, it’s just a gig, not a passion project like it is for you. To that end, I recommend first NOT being offended, realize where they are coming from. They don’t owe ya. THEN brainstorm creative ways to get them invested/excited. That will differ per project, and I can’t pretend to know all the best ways, but I do love brainstorms! You can tie financial success to them getting a bigger pay out, we’ve found giving them a fun shareable thing for social media (a video featuring them, even an image, esp tied into a trending # or viral stunt of the moment) can be a fun/easy/mutually beneficial way to encourage them to share. Sing their praises in it, we actors love a good blushy PR op. I def rec studying a ton of other crowdfunds to see what worked for them, esp ones similar to your project in tone and scope. Timing can be key too. So many factors come into play and there’s no set “path” thru that jungle, but you have a machete and a good brain, keep whackin!

(Paula Rhodes) #45

I have not. Some do. I think it might be really hard not knowing the crew on hand, locations, local actors/resources, but it someone is experienced at that it might not be a bad idea. I like weekly meetings or at least a gchat or email thread in prepro to keep us all on track. I find a team is key. One or two can be a real beast of a workload.

(Chris Hadley) #46

Awesome advice. Thanks so much!

(Paula Rhodes) #47

Hi! Yes, I do : ) I LOVE voiceover, as a parent and an on camera actor, it is key for my particular formula of bill-paying. I voiced the Resident Evil big bad in the last game, Monster High characters, Barbie characters etc. Hmmm, time? Well, I would say auditioning takes anywhere from seconds to a few hours a night as I audition at home via my booth, then if I book something, dep on how long it is, I can be in their boot minutes or 4 hours. 2 is standard I suppose. But mocap like for RE takes a full or half day with the suit and all. It’s so fun!

(Chris Hadley) #48

You’re very welcome, Paula and thanks for the kudos! :slight_smile: Proud and happy to be among those who see how important diversity and inclusivity in our business is.

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #49

Fantastic! Thank you very much!

(Bri Castellini) #50

Alright, folks, that’s our hour! Make sure to give HUGE big props to our incredible host @Paula_Rhodes! Do yourself a favor and check out her work here: http://officialpaularhodes.com/

(Jaime Lancaster) #51

Thank you sooo much, Paula!!! You’ve given me so much to think about!!

(Meg Carroway) #52

Thank you!

(Bri Castellini) #53

Signal boost to this one- I think it got swept up by all the other questions! :slight_smile:

(Paula Rhodes) #54

Aww, thank YOU! Yes, it is a constant juggle, but making sure you put life first, that being yourself /family/joy/needs is important. There will always be more roles and time for the right story, you can’t perform well if you’re not taking care of you. That doesn’t mean you have to be happy! As an artist, use sad/heartbroken/frustrated as motivators to create and grow in your art, but you must make sure you are being a good “mom” to yourself and yours. Then, from that solid footing, you can reach higher in art. That sounds way loftier than I intended, ha! Look, everyone’s balance will be different, the key is finding what YOU need to be happy/healthy. If a your thrival job is sucking your soul away, find another. I know that can be challenging, but once you’re past the transition part it will be worth it. I also know change is scary, for us all, but one thing that helps me is realizing that physically, fear and excitement are the same experience. Close your eyes and test it out - your body “feels” them the same. SO, if something like a looming change scares you, decide it’s exciting instead. It takes effort, but your body can be taught to follow your brain’s lead.

(Rodrigo Diaz Ricci) #55

Thank you very much, Paula!

(Paula Rhodes) #56

Hey, Netflix, Hulu, those are technically webseries my friend! And many have been swept up from web to tv now, so in many possible sometimes roundabout ways, yes.

(Paula Rhodes) #57

Thank YOU guys! *cyber-fives! Find me on twitter @paula_rhodes and feel free to say hi/toss me other Qs if they come to you. Best of luck in all your creative endeavors!

(Chris Hadley) #58

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our Q’s on web series, Paula! :slight_smile: Really enjoyed it, and really appreciate hearing your insight/advice on web series production!

(Alex Barbag) #59

@Paula_Rhodes, I never thought that being a parent could be helpful. I’ve been trying to get my comedy career off the ground before being ruined by kids.