Pitch me: beginner lighting tips for my grad students?

(Bri Castellini) #1

I’ve got a class of grad students with limited production experience who all have to produce a web series pilot before the end of the semester. We don’t currently have any good “first-timer” lighting articles on Stareable Film School- can anyone help out? I’m looking for a solid, easily-digestible step by step guide or listicle of a variety of options, particularly for filmmakers without a full lighting kit.

@Cinematographers @Directors @DesignersArtDirector?

0 Likes

(Herman Wang) #2

When do you need this by? I could collaborate on one with you.

1 Like

(Bri Castellini) #3

They go into production in the next few weeks- any amount of tips would be amazing since I have no idea what I’m talking about here!

0 Likes

(Kailee Cristina Brown) #4

ooh I might be able to come up with something

1 Like

(Bri Castellini) #5

I would love that!!

0 Likes

(Kailee Cristina Brown) #6

Can I get more details on exactly what you’re wanting? Do you want something like “how to light with just one light source” or something like “how to light with things you already own,” or a combination? Or do you want suggestions of really cheap things you can buy to help with lighting? I just want to write something that I know will be helpful for you and your students!

1 Like

(Bri Castellini) #7

Aaaaah you’re the best. I think a combo of those specific ideas would be great- the sample title I used on Twitter discussing this was “how to light a shot without a lighting kit.”

The advice I’ve already given them about it is:

• Rely on natural light until you know someone who knows how to light.
  • Don’t point lights directly at your actors.
  • Make sure at the very least whatever lighting you use is consistent from shot to shot (I didn’t go into details on this one because I also don’t know how to do it lol)
1 Like

(Kailee Cristina Brown) #8

okay cool, this is helpful! I will create my own comprehensive guide haha.

1 Like

(Ian David Diaz) #9

There’s a lot of 3 point lighting tutorials on Youtube you can refer to, this one is good

If you don’t have the knowledge of lighting could you not get someone in who knows to do a small lecture, I know in the UK most will do it for free - well if you buy them a pint afterward. :slight_smile: There’s a lot of kind-hearted people working in the industry that would give up their time for free. I think this is the best for all involved - someone teaching with experience trumps the alternatives. Nuff said!
0 Likes