Press kit sharing?

(Emma Drewry) #1

Hi all! I’m currently on an earl-grey-fueled work binge, and that’s involving updating my show’s press kit which I last (significantly) updated after a workshop a month and a half ago.

One of the things I found most helpful as a novice press-release-writer was looking at other shows’-- but there’s not a ton of publicly available press releases out there for web series! Anyone interested in sharing theirs? (minus any sensitive information, of course)

If anyone’s curious, this is the last updated version from my show: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1Tzocalq6GwwQFflwh5ZcPABrCPk3YipY

(Chris Hackett) #2

I dig the style of yours. Have had alot of trouble with my own. I like how simple and effective yours is.

(Bri Castellini) #3

Here’s mine for Sam and Pat last season! Sam and Pat PRESS KIT - Google Drive

And here’s my old Brains one (probably wildly out of date at this point) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxsW47Nh58uwTjViV3ZlMFhkeVE

(Chris Hackett) #4

This is the style I came up in. More traditional PR model. I had tried to start something like this for my last film but felt like it was out of touch without any more fancy designed document. Since I watched Brains and dug the idea alot how effective did you feel this was?

(Bri Castellini) #5

I think the nuance is really in who you send it to, honestly. I also never sent this out on its own- I sent out a press release first, then mentioned if they needed photos or anything else I had a media kit available. After the first month, when I had no idea what I was doing, I stopped emailing like The New Yorker and started targeting horror blogs, women in film blogs, web series specific sites, and things like that. Here’s our press page so you can see where I ended up connecting:

(Emma Drewry) #6

thanks! & i promise, it may look simple, but it genuinely took me 20+ hours. fortunately i was working 12 hour days at work while waiting for sets to wrap, so i had some free time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Emma Drewry) #7

we’re definitely struggling with that right now! somehow, I can’t figure out where the LGBT blogs are… :thinking: we’ve got one article out of about a dozen emails, so i’ve definitely got work to do! :sweat_smile:

(Chris Hackett) #8

Maybe don’t focus on lgbtq blogs but nicher than that. Lbgtq characters, film or fair hiring practice blogs. Actvitists in the sector would also be able to tell you who they read so you can go to that source. Tweet out to someone influential and see if their community can give you some insight.

(Kevin Longa) #9

Here’s the press kit we use for our docuseries, TASTE:

It worked perfectly for our Kickstarter, press outreach, etc.

Hope this helps!