Re: Design App for Augmenting Festival Laurels/Posters

(Allen Landver) #1

Hi everyone,

Tech-novice here, and I sure would love your help re: recommendations for a software program that I can use to tweak the color of my laurels. Simple tasks like that keep me up at night and I can sure use the help!! I need something very basic so the simpler the better for this one.

Thank you ALL — sleep well,

• Allen

(Herman Wang) #2

Not sure what kind of tweaking you’re talking about, but my main tool for posters is Microsoft Visio, which is essentially a layout program (think a bare-bones version of Photoshop). I can arrange images like still photos, laurels, etc to create a basic poster, and there are tools to do things like lighten/darken and make transparencies.

There are free programs that do something similar, for example LibreOffice Draw.

(Bri Castellini) #3

Do you mean you want to change a laurel from white to black, or vice versa? That’s a pretty simple invert in Photoshop, but if you don’t have Photoshop and just have a handful, you can send them to me and I’ll send them back to you in your preferred color straightaway!

(Ghetto Nerd Girl) #4

Not sure if this is too simple for you, but I use pic font to add laurels to existing posters. Not sure if you can tweak color with that. I’m sure you can do it in Preview if you’re working on a Mac.

(Allen Landver) #5

Thank you so much for this info, man! And sorry it took me weeks to respond. Yikes, where have I been? Much appreciated.

(Allen Landver) #6

Bri,

Rock on! Thanks for the offer to help. That’s REALLY nice of you. I will try to give this a go myself, but should I hit a wall / be having an overwhelming moment, I will not hesitate to reach out. Thank you!

(Allen Landver) #7

Good to know! Thanks for the info! I’m gonna give that a shot.

(Ian David Diaz) #8

Okay, when do you put a laurel on your poster, is it when you win an award or just when you get into a festival, or both?

(Herman Wang) #9

The way we do it, if we get nominated for or win an award, that generally replaces the “Official Selection” laurel.

(Bri Castellini) #10

Yeah for me it depends on:

1. How prestigious the festival is and
  2. How many other laurels the show has accrued

So if a show hasn’t gotten any, or has only gotten one official selection or award, I’ll definitely put it on some key art or maybe the poster. But if the festival is kinda small or the show has had quite a few other official selections, I probably won’t put the laurels on anything except a compilation of all laurels until we win something. I always share award winning laurels though