Re: Web series scripts database

(Chris Hadley) #1

Back in August, I floated the idea of creating a database for examples of web series scripts. This would be a great educational resource for aspiring and established writers to learn how writing for the medium works on the page.

Since Bri suggested the possibility of hosting that database here, are there any other writers here who might be interested in having their scripts be featured on the database?

If so, it’d be great to see what you’ve got (specifically from produced episodes, if possible). Show bibles/treatments are also welcome.

@Bri_Castellini Any suggestions on the design layout for this potential script database, should we decide to host it here? We can definitely divide each script by genre category and by series under those categories.

Treatments/bibles can also be placed separately alongside the scripts. Any ideas on all this? I also pose that same question to our community. Would love to know what you’d like to see for this script database. Thanks!

(Bri Castellini) #2

So I think the best thing would be a shared Google Drive? Viewable/uploadable to all, and we put a link to it in a thread here in the forums so people can discuss/find it again?

(Herman Wang) #3

Seems to me to be something almost worth making a feature of the community site, just so it’s more organized and less haphazard. People won’t accidentally edit/delete/move someone else’s stuff, etc.

Put that intern to work! :wink:

(Bri Castellini) #4

I don’t know if we CAN do it here… you can’t currently upload or store PDFs :confused:

(Herman Wang) #5

That’s too bad. If you could, it occurs to me we could have tags, keyword searches, comment threads for each script - all the good stuff about a site feature.

(Bri Castellini) #6

Would be great, I agree! But we’re knee deep in dev for Stareable.com I’m afraid- the forum doesn’t tend to get a lot of tech love. I’ll definitely look into it though!

(Bri Castellini) #7

Yeah it doesn’t look like a direct upload is an option. But I can certainly make a new category for folks to add to, which will allow everyone to post theirs! And embed the produced episodes if applicable!

(Emma Drewry) #8

I’m down. My show’s currently airing, so I wouldn’t upload a full season quite yet (we’re a little under halfway done) but I’d be down to upload our bible and pitch docs and the scripts that have aired so far.

(Chris Hadley) #9

@Bri_Castellini @hermdelica @alwaysafilmgeek I’m also open to creating a separate web page to host the scripts (probably on WordPress or Medium), and the episodes could be embedded there, too. Thoughts?

(Chris Hadley) #10

Of course, I’ll also upload scripts from my series, though they’ll have to be modified according to the final aired versions.

That’ll account for any ad-libbed dialogue or anything that’s slightly different from the completed production draft used for filming.

(Chris Hadley) #11

By the way, this is the site that inspired me to conceive this idea for a web series script database. It holds lots of great TV scripts, and the layout for the web series site could be very similar:

TV Writing

(Herman Wang) #12

I wouldn’t update the scripts - I think people might be interested in the difference between the script and the final version

(Chris Hadley) #13

@hermdelica That’s a good way of looking at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

(Emma Drewry) #14

I’m definitely open to either

(Susanne Morris) #15

I love this idea! I think this would be a great tool to not only connect web-series creators, but also help new web-series creators and writers! As someone that is new to web-series I would love to read “successful” scripts!

(Bri Castellini) #16

Let’s try this for now:

Click for database.

Here’s my first contribution!

(Barbara Mc Thomas) #17

I don’t write my web series scripts any differently than I write a television pilot script. I wonder what I’m missing?

(Bri Castellini) #18

I think it’s also interesting to see people write stories in shorter periods of time- it’s valuable from a story structure point of view as much as it’s valuable from a formatting one. Plus there’s tons of folks writing web series (I’ve found) who’ve never written a script in their life!

(Emma Drewry) #19

I added mine too!

Recon: Script database: Recon episodes 1-11!

(Herman Wang) #20

Added mine as well