Releasing a web series across all platforms, good idea or not?

(Marc Unger) #21

This is a great article! Thanks.

(Kyla) #22

I actually want to leap off this weekly vs binge thing (and tagging @movieguyjon as well) and ask your opinion: do you think a happy medium of these strategies would work?? like say, releasing five episodes on one date, waiting a couple weeks, and releasing the last five? I’m sure it would depend on episode length (so maybe in some cases batches of three are the way to go) but I’m wondering if you think it would be effective? there’s not a huge lack of constant promotion if you’re hyping up the back half of a season and it does have that binge effect depending on your series length, I’d think.

(Ian David Diaz) #23

Now that’s an interesting idea.

(Bri Castellini) #24

You know, I’m not sure! I feel like a TV show did that once (or a Netflix/Hulu show). For me, I love having a new thing in my sub box every week because it staves off the need to find something new to watch (cuz if I can binge it, I will, but then it’ll be over).

(Emma Drewry) #25

my strategy for this/what i’ve seen for this-- again, depending on the number of episodes and length of episodes-- is to batch-release a few of them (my show has about twenty episodes 4-10 mins each so we’re releasing 3-4 at first) then resume a steady schedule. i think this does only work if you have 10+ episodes, but i saw it work pretty well for couple-ish (i think that’s what they did, at least).
let people binge enough to get invested, use that to try and pull people back in and build regularity!

(Emma Drewry) #26

we’re going to batch release the first few then go to a 2-times a week schedule for aboutttt ten weeks

(Ian David Diaz) #27

What advice could you give me? I only have 5 eps of 5 minutes, what would you do, release them all at once or one every week?

(Emma Drewry) #28

i’m not sure! i think it depends on a) your target audience and b) your existing audience. if you have a fairly stable/sizable audience, week-by-week might be the way to go, but if you don’t have an audience established yet, you might want to capitalize on people binge-watching your show all at once and just release everything, especially because you only have 5 episodes.
we chose to release over a longer period of time in part bc we have so many episodes, but also because we’re targeting an online audience that lives primarily on tumblr, and tumblr tends to be pretty down for episodics-- our target audience is essentially carmilla’s/kindatv’s and their episodic shows have done super well online. if your target audience also leans towards more serialized content, i’d consider doing week-by-week :slight_smile:

(Jonathan Hardesty) #29

You know, another idea struck me. If you wanted, you could stream the whole thing live on twitch with commentary from you and the cast, sort of like a live watch party, and then hide the VOD of that, and then dole out the episodes weekly. Makes it feel like a big event for those on the ground floor and it MIGHT help get the word of mouth out from people who have seen the whole thing?

(Ian David Diaz) #30

Can I show my Eps on tumblr? I never knew this existed until now. What do people put on there, it looks like mostly Vlogs.

(Ian David Diaz) #31

It looks like twitch is for gamers playing games live, again another site I never knew existed, so what you’re saying is I can show an Ep with the cast commentary live? My Eps are only 5 mins. Does site only show live stuff or recorded stuff also?

(Ian David Diaz) #32

Good podcast Bri.

(Jonathan Hardesty) #33

Well, Twitch has kind of become the place to stream all types of content. It’s primary focus is video games, but they also allow things like “Talks Machina” ( https://critrole.com/filter/talks-machina/ ) which is essentially a late night talk show. They also allow people to stream as they paint pictures, build minis, and any other creative ventures.

You could set your show up to be an evening celebration of your show’s premiere, and treat it like a watch party and put it under talk show and be fine. And since you own your show, you could stream the show during your broadcast as a treat to people who join the stream.

(Ian David Diaz) #34

Okay, but we’re nobodies, shouldn’t we see how it’s received first, this looks like a thing to do if the show is a success and we’re on season 2. am I wrong?

(Emma Drewry) #35

yeah, you can totally put videos on tumblr! generally people embed youtube videos into their posts :slight_smile:
tumblr’s also home to a lot of fandoms & fan communities, especially internet ones, so it can be a pretty valuable platform

(Bri Castellini) #36

Thank you! Hope it was helpful!

(Bri Castellini) #37

Another good example of innovative Twitch use- @berniesu’s new show there.

https://www.stareable.com/series/view/artificial

(Ian David Diaz) #38

It was thanks Bri.

(Mika Marcovitz) #39

Enma,thank you for this!
I didn’t even know Tumblr is a possible outlet!
But I know that when we shot the series in 2015, one of the crew members started gushing ‘omg omg omg, this is EXACTLY what I went through with my Tumblr community!’
I think I need to explore this outlet.
Any tips on how one might go about doing so?

Mika

(Mika Marcovitz) #40

Mind blown people!
Seriously. Wish I could use a gif.
My series is about a social network for artsy and geeky and gamer nerds. Those are really great idea that you’re tossing around!
I LOVE it!
Thank you all!
(Now I’m gonna want to ask you for your absolute honent and brutal criticism to make sure the edits are ready before I debut it.
But I’m not fishing for compliments- I will be asking for brutal honesty.
Think I can?