Releasing a web series across all platforms, good idea or not?

(Bri Castellini) #41

Check out this category for adding your content for critique :slight_smile:

:arrow_right: #cc

(Emma Drewry) #42

ah, that’s hard! I honestly got into tumblr when I was about 14-15 (I’m 20, for reference), so it’s been a while and I probably couldn’t tell you the detail, but it definitely involved Doctor Who and some peer pressure… but my general recommendation would be to make an account, and search some properties you love-- there’s tons of fanart and fanfic and fan communities for almost anything. Just try to follow some people whose blogs you genuinely like and see what happens!

(Ian David Diaz) #43

Do you have a link to your show?

(Ian David Diaz) #44

Oh by the way Bri…

We now have a Rebecca Gold Facebook page, please like. Thanks.

(Mika Marcovitz) #45

Pooks good! Is the trailer on it? I’d love to share it and the page!

(Mika Marcovitz) #46

Currently fully ready are three teaser trailers.
Here’s the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaZ9u5ItVdvPEzE5nWtVEPd9RKUp9zNhk
There’s also one episode that I released last June, before I officially decided to correct a few things that have gone wrong, mainly recast one actor that wasn’t the right casting.
If any of you are interested in seeing half baked episodes (no sound work etc,) to give feedback on what works and what needs to change - I would absolutely be beyond delighted ( even if you hate it or only have negative thoughts!)

(Ian David Diaz) #47

Here’s the trailer:

And here’s the Facebook trailer:

(Arthur Vincie) #48

Some further thoughts:

Another reason we released all-at-once had to do with the content of our show.

We don’t have any “cliff-hanger” episodes - while the storyline continues from ep to ep it’s not like you find a dead body at the end of each episode.

Also, it’s about immigrants in NYC, and the election was just a few weeks away. Given that all the oxygen in the room was already getting sucked up into the election, we thought releasing all at once would get our message/theme out there more effectively.

Another another reason is because honestly we were all fucking exhausted from post and the idea of designing a new mini-campaign every week for 10 weeks was too much. We focused on sending out emails & SM posts announcing the first platform release, then went to work on spreading out to more platforms, hitting up festivals, and getting press. That slowed down our pace a little bit (for better or worse) so we could send out emails and shout-outs when something new happened (festivals, press, new platforms, etc.)

Some other examples I can think of:
“195 Lewis” went out to festivals before going online, and the creators felt that it benefited them to hold back. They were able to put the laurels and press front and center and build momentum that way.

“Split” released the first episode, then followed with releasing the remaining eps later on.

I think it depends on whether you can retain your audience and how the release pattern fits that retention strategy,. Sci-fi, horror, and LGBTQIA fans are very loyal (on my last feature I had someone email me a year after they saw it in a festival to ask if it was available to buy yet), so that works in your favor. Dramas are a tougher sell.

(Ian David Diaz) #49

Thanks, Avincie, lots to think about, I’m thinking of releasing Ep 1 first see how that’ll play, then taking it from there.

By the way everyone we have a Facebook page up so please like, thank you. I’ve also bosted the page, never done this before, I’ll let you guys know if it’s made a difference to likes.